Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Been out creating a fenced path to an isolated outdoor section for the little chicks. They are 8 weeks old and should be able to go out. :wee Just waiting for the sun to come out before opening the door. Took care of the rest of the normal chicken chores while I was out there, so we have the afternoon off! :woot

Did you buy peeps Val? The hatchery 5 look like chickens now in the little coop. Sitting with coffee here this morning.
We bought 3 Buff Orpingtons from the Farm Store. They are about 8 weeks now and I just set up access to their own area outside for some nice sunny afternoons. They are still a bit small, so I have to worry about aerial predators. It's a nice day today, but I won't be home for a while, so not too comfortable letting them out. Maybe this afternoon for a bit. I opened it yesterday, but they didn't venture out.

One thing I've noticed about raising them in the coop, is they are more skittish. They have such a nice private area, so protected. I need to think of a solution for that next time. Don't want to bring raising chicks back into the garage. Don't want to ask DH to build something. Hmmm... 🤔 IDK

I'm cleaning out the coop today. Now that I let them spend the night in it, it gets kind of poopy after a few days. I have 20 or 30 gallons of wet, composted woodchips spread out on the driveway to dry up before I put them in the coop.

I'll have to get a picture of the girls on the coop roosting bar. They all line up facing the big east facing window in the coop. The girl at the bottom of the pecking order often sleeps by herself in the run. The other chickens just don't seem to like her very much...

One thing I've noticed about raising them in the coop, is they are more skittish. They have such a nice private area, so protected. I need to think of a solution for that next time. Don't want to bring raising chicks back into the garage. Don't want to ask DH to build something. Hmmm... 🤔 IDK
I haven't found that to be the case thus far, some birds are just friendlier than others and some will run away screaming no matter how much time you spend with them from the start.

I've been fairly hands off with my current brood, moreso than past ones, so we'll see if that affects their behavior as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom