Water-added Supplements (Vi-tal)

alwaystj9

Small goats & big chickens + 1 old horse
Aug 20, 2019
SE Louisiana
I gave the chicks grow gel the first 6 hours after unboxing and then they started on medicated crumbles. It is day 3 and they are all doing well. Is a water-added supplement necessary? The hatchery suggested Vi-tal Water Vitamin, Electrolyte and Mineral Supplement. I bought a pack but it seems that most of this is already available in their starter crumbles and they shouldn't be heat stressing or in need of extra electrolytes. I'm thinking I will hold off on the water supplement until I move them out of the brooder. What do y'all think?
(This question is only regarding the supplement - not grit or brooder temps or other topics)

The hatchery suggested Vi-tal Water Vitamin, Electrolyte and Mineral Supplement.
I bet they sell that product too, at a "fair" price.

Supplements like that can be useful if the chicks are stressed or not doing well. I administer hummingbird liquid to individual chicks or even adults if I see a need. Some people automatically give their chicks something like that when they arrive or even after they are settled in. It is not going to hurt them as long as you don't get ridiculous with it.

Personally I don't give mine grow gel or put anything in the water. Mine get chick crumbles and clean water, whether I hatch them myself or they are mailed. I've never had a problem with mailed chicks. If I did I'd do something like that.

I don't give things like that unless a chick is struggling. I do usually add a little Nutri-Drench or molasses to the water right when I get them into the brooder because I feel like it's a stressful thing to transition from the feed store to the car to the brooder. So I give them that for the first 12-24 hours then just switch to plain water. If one is struggling after that I will use Sav-a-chik or more Nutri-Drench but I don't think it's necessary if everyone is doing well. Its something I keep on hand just in case.

If they're all eating well and doing well at this point I don't think any extras in the water are needed. I do like giving Nutri-Drench the first 48 hrs or so just to help with shipping/new home stress but past that plain water should be just fine.

Thanks, y'all! You pretty much verified my thoughts. I got started using the grow-gel because my kids thought it was really cool goopy stuff but the chicks always gobbled it so I just kept using it. I think it acts very much like nutridrench, but it's only fed for 6 hours or so..
I didn't even think about the vitaminB vs. coccidiosis meds...good point. I was aware of it for the goats, just didn't think about the chicks.
I was concerned about adding a lot of salt to their diet if I did the Vi-tal or any recovery solution.

Back
Top Bottom