Water freezing

kkcummins

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Does anyone have any thoughts to share on keeping the birds water from freezing. Right now I have a heat lamp about 6 feet over the water fount, but just dropped it down to about 3 feet tonight. It's supposed to get down to 18 degrees tonight so I'm worried it still might freeze. It was 24 last night and the water froze solid. My girls were soooo thirsty when I got home from work at noon. Are the heated waterers worth the investment? Have seen negative comments about them, so am unsure if they are worth the investment.

That is one expensive way, not to mention an energy waster.

A heated dog dish works well. A heated water fountain works. A light bulb in a cement block with metal water fountain placed over it works well. Low wattage bulb is all that's needed.

There are literally dozens and dozens of threads on the subject and a lot of people have creative, solid ideas.

I had found a plastic heated dog water dish, last year @walmart.com and it was sent to my nearest Wal-Mart to pick up, I considered it cheap at about 5.95 I bought 2- 1 for a spare. I put it on top of a cast iron flower pot upside down & put my plastic chicken waterer on top it works very well.

Check out the link below. I built a version of one of these four years ago for less than $5, and it's still in use in my coop right now. I used a 40W bulb instead of the bulb shown in the article. The store bought heaters cost around $50, and they are a product of "Fine" RedChinese engineering. They may last a day, or years(Rarely), but when they crap out, they are done, throw it out and buy another. The bulb burns out in the cookie tin, it's easily replaced.
But do something, because that heatlamp is dangerous. I've read on here more than a couple of stories about people burning their coops down with a heatlamp. Get it out of there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cookie-tin-heater-for-water

I have horizontal nipples in PVC pipe. I use a tabletop fountain pump to circulate the water from the end of the run back to the pail. Cheap $12.00 AND SAFE!!! Running water does not freeze.

I have been wondering about this too. What about putting a little bit of salt in the water to help prevent freezing? Or could that hurt the chickens?

Don't add salt to water. We die of thirst when adrift surrounded by sea water and your animals would too with their drinking water if you put salt in it.

I use a heated plastic water fountain. It's definitely worth heating water and those turn off via thermostat at 50F. When this one breaks I'll make something from one of the many heated water threads here as Fred's Hens suggested.

It was 8 degrees here this morning. I shut off the low pressure system Friday. Now comes the cold months and watering chores are never ending or so it seems.

Whats the big deal, plenty of viable options have been offered. heated dog bowls, work great, buying a heated base, or making 1 with a light bulb.
Yes water is a PITA in the winter, but can be remedied with many options presented on this forum.
This topic is posted over and over and over............................

We don't have electricity all the way up where our coop is unfortunately. So we're out there every 2 hours with warm water refilling and checking when it's this cold out. Luckily we work opposite shifts and there is only a 3-4 hour time frame during the day when one of us isn't home to keep our eyes on them.

Back
Top Bottom