Water freezing

Our latest cold snap it got down into the mid to low minus 30 Celsius temps & its not uncommon for it to stay in the minus 20's for days going on weeks.

Last edited:

Plywood under the cinderblock (so I can remove the whole "heater/holder" in spring) hubby scewed the recepticals & their boxes to the plywood, glued the cinderblock to it, electrical taped up the hole for the cord so shavings & dust can't get inside. then the tile just sits on top. I cleared the shavings out of the coop & installed it. the cord is buried under as much of the feed tub holder & nest box as I can then buried under 8" of shavings then to bottom right corner of the coop door. . (it's an outdoor extention cord) which then runs up the side of the coop to the top of the run & is plugged into a 3 outlet cord which has the heat lamp on a programable timer & a trouble light for the run.

Purchase a 5 gal bucket, a 10 gallon dog food container that had a handle you can hang on a hook, purchase spray foam can, purchase 4-5 nipples, purchase a bird bath heater. (this uses near 40 watts and can be used for solar powered coops).
Insert the 5 gallon bucket inside the larger bucket, drill your nipple holes in one step. Insert the nipples into the 5 gallon bucket. Using spray foam add insulation. Secure the larger bucket's lid and the next day your set to use your water feeder. Chickens will use this and will get enough water. I use a timer to ensure the power is not consumed in 1 day (presently have a 100 watt solar panel, with AC converter, and 200 ah battery pack).
There are also options for 12 volt timers, water temp on off regulators, and 12 volt silicone heating elements (I am moving my solar powered coop from 120 AC to 12V DC power soon).

Purchase a 5 gal bucket, a 10 gallon dog food container that had a handle you can hang on a hook, purchase spray foam can, purchase 4-5 nipples, purchase a bird bath heater. (this uses near 40 watts and can be used for solar powered coops).
Insert the 5 gallon bucket inside the larger bucket, drill your nipple holes in one step. Insert the nipples into the 5 gallon bucket. Using spray foam add insulation. Secure the larger bucket's lid and the next day your set to use your water feeder. Chickens will use this and will get enough water. I use a timer to ensure the power is not consumed in 1 day (presently have a 100 watt solar panel, with AC converter, and 200 ah battery pack).
There are also options for 12 volt timers, water temp on off regulators, and 12 volt silicone heating elements (I am moving my solar powered coop from 120 AC to 12V DC power soon).

Where are you at and how cold does it get? This is a neat idea, but i've found where i'm at (minnestoa) the water doesn't freeze with a bird bath de-icer and horizontal nipples (at least down to -20), but the vertical nipples like those always freeze above zero. let us know how it goes. If it doesn't get very cold there it should be ok.

So what are the complaints about using the heated wateres? Cost? Too expensive to use? It's gonna be my first winter with chickens i don't really want to use a wall heater to heat the coop.I bought a heated water dish to keep water from freezing. Temps get down around -20c to -30c in winter months. The coop is well insulated but I'm sure not enuff to keep water from freezing

So what are the complaints about using the heated wateres? Cost? Too expensive to use? It's gonna be my first winter with chickens i don't really want to use a wall heater to heat the coop.I bought a heated water dish to keep water from freezing. Temps get down around -20c to -30c in winter months. The coop is well insulated but I'm sure not enuff to keep water from freezing
What kind did you get?

Back
Top Bottom