Water freezing

Where you gettin the "Rude" from, just stating the facts. This topic has been discussed quite heavily in the coops section. If anyone does a search on this topic, many,many threads come up, with a wealth of information.
Hey I am not against discussion, but this is a  topic that goes on and on, and thats fine, but if you do some research, many times the question one seeks finds an answer. The solutions are as follows, 1) heated building,2) heated water source, 3) haul water as often as needed throughout the day, 4) move south to avoid freezing temps. That's bout it

Oh wow....really?? Maybe some people work during the day....ever thought of that?

Personally, I like getting more "up-to-date" info, and tend to avoid threads that are "dead" (i.e. a year or two or three old). It's not active anymore, so I feel as though if I ask questions in the thread I might not get answers. :)

That aside, I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples on the bottom. Would a bird bath de-icer and a small water pump, just to keep the water moving, do the trick? My research is telling me yes, but I wondered if anyone who has done this has had any major issues other than the nipples freezing (which I'm hoping the pump will solve). Right now the temperature is at about 15-20 degrees F at night, but it can get in the single digits sometimes. It's also MAJORLY windy where I am, though I'm planning on wrapping the coop in heavy gauge plastic for the winter once I get the wire up.

My chicken water froze this morning, too. But I reallized that water inside a bucket with a bunch of leaves didn't got freezing. So

1. I put a smaller bucket inside a bigger bucket, and fill leaves between these two bucket to insulate water.
2. I fill the smaller bucket with water, and add some leaves in smaller one to lower water freezing point.
3. I cover both buckets at night to reduce wind effect.

Hope everything is OK.

Last edited:

Wingleader I have the same setup as you, I bought this stock tank heater at tractor supply 250 watts with a built in thermostat, it will keep 30 gallons of water thawed so 5 shouldn't be a problem, 20 degrees here with a 20 mph wind and no problem at all, safe for plastic and keeps the water flowing through the nipples, I bought the push in nipples.

Right now I have two traditional waterers in rotation between the coop and a heat register in the house! I did a search, but still wanted another solution as well. I found two different companies that made complete heated poultry waterers. Both got scathing reviewes! One of them, Allied Precision, seemed like a good American company, so I gave them a call. I learned that their newest model of heated poultry waterer was designed to address the issues of its predecessor.

Wanting an all in one turnkey solution, I decided to take a leap of faith. Hopefully the new waterer will arrive in a few days. I don't have electric installed in my coop either. It is a tractor, so it is a moving target. I use a set of large gauge extension cords to get the job done for lighting, hopefully they will carry the heated waterer too.

A thirsty chicken is a very unhappy chicken!

Hi! I use inverted heated water bowls for out door animals. Just turn it upside down and set your waterer on the bottom plate. My hen house gets below freezing and this keeps the water liquid. I have used the heated bowls for years with no trouble at all. I currently use a small bowl on a chest high shelf some of my little girls like to roost on. That way when they dig and burrow on the floor the water stays clean. I hated having to clean out the water several times a day when it got dirty from all their digging. This way I have the shelf water bowl and a regular waterer with dog bowl under it sitting on an overturned washtub and neither water freezes. Best luck to you. The Leader of the Kriminal chicks.

Oh wow....really?? Maybe some people work during the day....ever thought of that?

So do I work day shifts, keeping Canadian Society safe from criiminals. I suggest you carefully read my post.
There are only so many options, I'll list them again for you, 1) heated coop, not ideal in a lot of situations for a myriad of reasons, 2) heated water source, and 3rd) haul water out as often as you can. In my case, in my outdoor run, fill water containter in morning, and have heated water source in coop too, holds them till I get home 13 hours later.
Now if you do not have electricity, what other option is there? Cuz I would be interested in trying it.
If you don't like my suggetion to search for answers and options, cannot help you there either. I am being candid and really believe using the "Search" feature can really help, and allow anyone to find answers to their questions, and solutions to their problems. PS did I ruffle your feathers? ........The RR

Wingleader I have the same setup as you, I bought this stock tank heater at tractor supply 250 watts with a built in thermostat, it will keep 30 gallons of water thawed so 5 shouldn't be a problem, 20 degrees here with a 20 mph wind and no problem at all, safe for plastic and keeps the water flowing through the nipples, I bought the push in nipples.

Awesome, thank you!

Rooster Rules

I was not asking the questions initially. I just commented. Some of us are newbies.

I have electricity. I just have to buy or rig something up for the water to stay thawed.

Rooster Rules

I was not asking the questions initially. I just commented. Some of us are newbies.

I have electricity. I just have to buy or rig something up for the water to stay thawed.
Not a problem, keep the forum updated with your solution to keep the water flowing this winter. I always enjoy seeing inventive ways for this dilemma.....The RR

Back
Top Bottom