Water freezing

Hi, I have a 10 gallon insulated rubbermade container with an attachment on the outside that has the nipples on it, so my concern is that the outside attachment will still freeze even when using this heater. What do you think?
Thanks,

Hi, I have a 10 gallon insulated rubbermade container with an attachment on the outside that has the nipples on it, so my concern is that the outside attachment will still freeze even when using this heater. What do you think?
Thanks,

I've heard that putting a water pump in the waterer to get the water moving would help with that? Working on the principle that moving water doesn't freeze. I'm not sure though. http://www.harborfreight.com/264-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68395.html Something like that? Someone back me up?

For what it is worth I spent $14 today for a light base, nuts and threaded pipe, plus light bulbs. Add to that about $3 for an extension cord, 2 wire 16ga. Then another ~$35 for a galvanized three gallon fount when I could have bought a self contained heated poly fount for ~$40. I would need a new fount next spring anyway so it really is not fair to add that in. One of my poly ones somehow does not seal right....not sure why yet. Still this is a far cry from the cost posted when the linked thread was posted some time ago.

Saw a suggestion from a northern BYC member to use the black rubber water tubs and put several ping-pong balls in it. Guess any breeze would keep those balls moving and help prevent the water from freezing. If it does freeze, it's reportedly easy to remove the ice from the rubber tub and refill. I've not done this so can't attest to the effectiveness but it sounds good to me.

I rotate waterers. One in the house filled and ready to go. I will switch it out with either the one in the coop or the run should they become frozen and bring the frozen one in the house to thaw. I've only got 8 birds so it's easy for me to rotate waterers, might not be as easy with a larger flock.

Made and used a cookie tin heater last year with great success, never had any frozen water. Not as easy to run electric to that section of the coop this year which is why we're not using it now.

My hubby just finished the cookie tin heater. It's very festive. Lol.
Now let's hope it works. Testing it right now. Cost was only about $14.00. Using a 25 w bulb.
Will let u know how it goes.

My hubby just finished the cookie tin heater. It's very festive. Lol.
Now let's hope it works. Testing it right now. Cost was only about $14.00. Using a 25 w bulb.
Will let u know how it goes.

I am curious how hot the cookie tin gets. I am guessing it will keep the water from freezing.

I am curious how hot the cookie tin gets. I am guessing it will keep the water from freezing.

Made one last year, had a small bulb in it, think a chandelier bulb. It wasn't in the coop, we had it in the run but that portion of the run was protected from wind/rain via plastic. Did not have frozen water even once. Felt it a few times when I grabbed the waterer to refill it and it was warm to the touch but not hot.

We had it on for a couple of hours in the house to test it. It got quite warm to the touch but not hot. I imagine it will be cooler when out in the cold. I have a plastic waterer so I don't want it too hot. I'm going to put bricks under it and around it as I don't want the straw bedding getting too close.
Will take a pic of it when i set it up out there this morning.

Back
Top Bottom