Water freezing

I use a large dog water bowl in my small coop, filled it 2/3 with sand and set a plastic waterer on the sand. When the temp gets subzero, I add an insulated cover made of a plastic plant pot and some bubble wrap insulation. Plastic waterers should not generally be used in direct contact with a heat source.

We just taped(metal tape for duct work) pipe heating wrap from the hardware store around the bowl and plugged it in. Works great! And was very inexpensive to do.

Also, with the pipe heating wrap(you can get a small 6ft section from the hardware store, and just wrap it multiple times around the bowl) it has an internal thermostat, so it only turns on when it's freezing, making it energy efficient as well.

I use a cookie-tin heater under my 1-gallon waterer for my banties. I made it about 5 years ago and previously used it under my 3-gallon waterer.
In the coop with the other hens, I have a large heated dog bowl. I got lucky this summer and found 2 heated 3-gallon buckets and 1 heated bowl for $5 for all, at a garage sale. It would be perfect if the duck would quit trying to swim in it and splash most of the water out.
I'm thinking I will try the upside down dog bowl idea and go back to the 3-gallon waterer.

This is my problem too. I have the exact set-up. I found a submersible aquarium heater at Petco. Com but haven't purchased it yet. The idea is to "snake" the heater from the Rubbermaid cooler thru the hose and down to the PVC. It's worth a try so I may just give it a whirl!!!
Ps. The heater is a cord that goes under substrate in fish tanks and aquariums

I will either go the above method or wrap the PVC and line that feeds it with heated tape ( the kind that was made to keep mobile home water lines from freezing)

Last edited:
I know that I am spoiled with the horizontal nipples, as long as it's not freezing. (My mistake for not setting it up right to start with) Hauling water is for the birds. Lol

This is what I use in my runs. It is food grade plastic so is supposed to be heat safe and it's translucent so I can see how much water is in there. It sits on a heated base. No freezing issues since the nipples are on the sides and are spring loaded. It's made by All'Bout Chickens.

Last edited:
I use the tank heater that I got from Tractor Supply however at very low temps (lower than 15F) the vertical poultry nipples still froze.

I purchased some horizontal nipples and they have stayed thawed down to single digits. We haven't had a below 0 temps since I got the horizontal nipples but they seem less likely to freeze given the design.

Heated waterers are okay but only last 2 or 3 winters, sometimes less. You can build our own heated base to put the water can on. Look it up online, it is cheap and all you need is a light bulb and pie tin.

Back
Top Bottom