Water freezing

i never did see a picture of that post ? i just clicked on something now and it showed 2 water containers side by side ,thermos cooler and water bucket ?? i originally was reading about the guy who posted that awesome 5 gallon bucket feeder w the 3' pvc elbow coming out at bottom and on one of them he mentioned some post about the one you wrote / lol i think ! i am just about illiterate on a computer so sometimes i just guess and click - sometimes i get there sometimes i don't ! well thank you for replying i too have an older solder iron did you make the whole in side to feed the cord ???/ thanks .

Look at post number 78. two or three above yours, and again look at that picture.
Maybe that will help you in figuring out what it really is !

About how to make that bottom heater.
I drilled a hole slightly larger than the cord that connects to the solder iron.
It is a 3 wire cord.
2 wires to power the iron, and one to ground. You can see it in pic number 2.

The original cord for the iron, is only 2 wires.
I wanted to make sure that in case of *oops*, the whole thing would be *grounded* !

I put a 25 watt bulb in a cookie tin. Drilled a couple of holes in it for air circulation. Waterer hangs just above it and works perfectly to keep water from freezing. I used this all winter last year during the polar vortex! Never gets hot. Just lightly warm.

It's plugged in outside of their coop and wire runs down the wall to cookie tin. I set this on ceramic tiles.

Waterer hangs just above it and works perfectly to keep water from freezing.
*Just above it* --- so the bottom of the waterer did NOT touch the top of the cookie tin at all ??
Just to show that anything warm underneath is sufficient, I assume !

About cookie tins ...
For some idiotic reason, I was NOT capable of finding a cookie tin
anywhere in the house or at the neighbours !,
I even looked for something like a cookie tin at Walmart.
What I did find was those baking pans and thus made mine that way.

The cookie tin is a Christmas cookie tin. You can find them everywhere nearer to Christmas.
The waterer does touch the tin. Just lightly.

What happens when it rains? Looks like this is outside. Maybe under a roof?
I don't feed and water in the coop. I don't want the mess from the food, and I don't want the moisture from the water. (I also don't want extra poo in the coop.) I have a covered feeding station for the food, but the water is NOT covered. I did not think I should have to worry about rainwater. Should I worry?

The chickens like to drink out of my nasty old rain barrels (actually uncovered rectangular totes).

In nice weather, I have an automatic waterer hooked to the hose. I only use the bucket and heater when the hose could freeze.

Back
Top Bottom