Water management and Strategies for water conservation

Hope this doesn't come off as too odd of a question but is it possible to go "too big" with your water source/fish tank on an aquaponics set up? Before I get into too many details I've got access to a 12' wide, 6' deep round poly tank that has the top all messed up so I'll have to cut it at 4'. I just don't want to cut it and sink it into the ground and find out that it was way more than I needed.

You need to balance the fish waste to the garden grow space to make it so the plants get enough fertilized water but not too much. But water space itself is great. I have a hot tub that's 8' round. You should have a depth of at least 3' for tilapia I've heard.

If anyone's interested...here's our system.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/873121/does-anyone-have-an-aquaponics-system#post_13310734
Gallo like I mentioned in the post on the thread I started, I'm super jealous of your system, it looks fantastic
bow.gif

In reading that article it seems that there is a difference of opinion. The guy that went to jail is claiming that he's collecting run off from snow melt and rain fall. The folks that arrested him are claiming he's taking water from the streams and tributaries. I'd think it'd be an easy thing to clarify, just walk out to his place and see where the water that he's collected is coming from.

We cant know the details without having been part of that whole process. With regard to the fellow and the "Ponds"....
gig.gif

I think the positive thing we all can take away from it is Knowing your local codes and keeping a low profile if You are ... flying under the radar. Each state in the US has its own resource issues.... Pacific Northwest has quite a bit of rainfall.... even some rain forest... East coast because of their warmer ocean has alot of moisture All year long.

Northern California depends on Snow fall ... This winter we got 16 percent of what we normally get for the year. To give you an idea That Snow supplies water to irrigate the Central Valley and ship water out to Los Angeles..... And even some trickles down to the South end of Southern California. Falls short of Sa

The reserviors in San Diego County are wayy down.... we get our water for them from rain fall. 12 inches per year.... Last year we got 3. We also get water from the Colorado.

In Los Angeles they are giving out insentives if you rip out your lawn.

Water distribution from Northern California

water_1.10.jpg

Because of a very small fish that lives in the delta they have reduced the water distributed through Canals and pipe lines, if it becomes threatened.

San diego Imports its water from the Colorado River
San-Diego-County-Water-Supply.jpg

The natural path of the Colorado follows the state line from the red dot.... When it meets the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez) it falls short of the ocean by some feet. That little blue lake below the black line is the Salton Sea. That used to be a Dry salt lake.... but an accident during construction of the canal caused the lake to exist again. Happened around 1905.... BTW it has an odd ecosystem now.... Full of Tilapia. Saltier than the ocean by a bit.... LOL.

Here is a map of tested wells and well water in San Diego County

2008-09-Well-Assesment.JPG-.jpg

If you look at the map just on the Mexican Border where there is a red dot That marks an incredible Aquefer that goes on into Mexico... I am hearing the water incredible and in massive quantities.... The town in Mexico is called Tecate.... and a huge beer producing location. LOL.

My home is half way between the red dot on the border and the Green dot on the border to the right. My well is shallow for the area at 450 feet deep and goes dry if I pump water from it more than a half hour.

deb

Deb,

I saw a program on TV where a HUGE salt water distillery had been built where they were turning the salt water into clean drinking water and supplying drinking water to a lot of people. Seems like this was in a desert somewhere. Why doesn't California do something like that?

Back
Top Bottom