Water sprayer freezing up/clogging in the morning

Tammyoeo

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
My water sprayer attachment freezes up in the middle of trying to change water feeders in the morning. I always have to go turn off the water, open the hose up, take off the attachment. I think it is freezing at the point of when it hits the cold air. Is there a water attachment for the hose that won’t freeze up? I am in Arizona for Pete’s sake!

I just use my faucet. No hose, no attachment. The attachment would be getting the water thinner, for more strength, and that's probably what is causing it to freeze. The more water that's together, the longer it takes to freeze. (If that makes any sense?) I don't use hoses during the winter because they'll freeze on me like water pipes. I use just my faucet as long as that's not frozen. Then, if the faucet freezes and I can't unthaw it, I just bring in the waterers (or buckets for geese) and fill them up using the kitchen sink's sprayer. If I need to wash a waterer or something, I wash it in the bathtub, then wash the bathtub when I'm done. :)

My water sprayer attachment freezes up in the middle of trying to change water feeders in the morning. I always have to go turn off the water, open the hose up, take off the attachment. I think it is freezing at the point of when it hits the cold air. Is there a water attachment for the hose that won’t freeze up? I am in Arizona for Pete’s sake!
I have a base heater. I have a pole right near my coop with an outlet. One cord goes into the chicken and they other outlet is for the base heater. I can put 3 Arizona Ice Tea jugs on the heater. I carry out 2 jugs each afternoon when I put the babies to bed. Hardly ever a frozen jug maybe just a skim. I have a heated dog bowl Problem is it's 1.5 gallons and I empty it at night. Hate to discard that much water, but the bowl is messy anyway. Gonna look for a smaller heated dog bowl. I keep 6 AIT jugs in my kitchen filled up. For the birds and power outages to flush toilet.

I just use my faucet. No hose, no attachment. The attachment would be getting the water thinner, for more strength, and that's probably what is causing it to freeze. The more water that's together, the longer it takes to freeze. (If that makes any sense?) I don't use hoses during the winter because they'll freeze on me like water pipes. I use just my faucet as long as that's not frozen. Then, if the faucet freezes and I can't unthaw it, I just bring in the waterers (or buckets for geese) and fill them up using the kitchen sink's sprayer. If I need to wash a waterer or something, I wash it in the bathtub, then wash the bathtub when I'm done. :)
That makes total sense. I do believe that is the current issue. Only one time did the water actually freeze inside the actual hose, but that just pushed on out once I took off the spray nozzle attachment. I think I will just have to take off the nozzle for a few weeks (should be hot again all too soon). Just wasn’t sure if there was some magic material out there that was less prone to freezing that folks in actual cold climates had secret knowledge of. 😝

Just wasn’t sure if there was some magic material out there that was less prone to freezing that folks in actual cold climates had secret knowledge of. 😝
Agreed with that! Sadly, I haven't found nothing but heated waterers, then I started hearing that those lead to frostbit combs. :( Maybe someday.... :rolleyes:
I dream of a world....
where roosters' combs don't get frostbite and water doesn't freeze. :gig

Back
Top Bottom