Waterers & feeders

ashdmay

Hatching
Feb 24, 2016
Iv seen a few threads on here about watering and feeding and what seems to work best for some however the few threads i saw were a little old so I was wanting to know if you could show me or tell me about what feeder or waterer you have and what works best for you?! Thanks. Pics would be great if ya got them!

I use either plastic or rubber buckets and pans for both feed and water. Simple, and easy to clean. I put out fresh food daily, adjusting the amount as necessary.

I forgot take pics before it got dark in the coop but I just built a new feeder and waterer today. For the feeder I just used a heavy duty 5 gallon bucket and put two 3 inch 90 degree elbows in them, like the ones in the big thread that is in this forum.

For the waterer I used a 5 gallon plastic 5 gallon water jug and drilled two holes in it and used 2 of the horizontal cup type waterers from TSC. I already had extra water jugs and the two cups cost about $5.00 at TSC. I've got about $10 in the bucket and elbows. I used the cheap feeder I was using for grit. They were wasting a lot of feed from that feeder.

Ill post pics tomorrow.

I use a metal water container (Normally the ones at feed stores) but I have been looking into a produced called Hen Hydrator. Its supposed to keep algee away and it hangs upside down. For food their are alot of designs online that use PVC and are really effective.

I forgot take pics before it got dark in the coop but I just built a new feeder and waterer today. For the feeder I just used a heavy duty 5 gallon bucket and put two 3 inch 90 degree elbows in them, like the ones in the big thread that is in this forum.

For the waterer I used a 5 gallon plastic 5 gallon water jug and drilled two holes in it and used 2 of the horizontal cup type waterers from TSC. I already had extra water jugs and the two cups cost about $5.00 at TSC. I've got about $10 in the bucket and elbows. I used the cheap feeder I was using for grit. They were wasting a lot of feed from that feeder.

Ill post pics tomorrow.
I'm anxious to see your pictures. Also I had a question: You mentioned cup waterers.... I'm not sure I know what those are.
idunno.gif

This is one design of cup waterers:

Water is released when the yellow tab is pushed. I've been wanting to upgrade to these since they seem like a good compromise between open container watering and nipple waterers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInPink

I'm anxious to see your pictures. Also I had a question: You mentioned cup waterers.... I'm not sure I know what those are.
idunno.gif

Sorry I forgot to post the pics. Not the best as I snapped them real quick with my cell phone. So far both seem to be working, I have seen the chicks using both. After several days I haven't had any litter in the cups on the waterer which I heard some people complain about.

I am working on my hen house. My chicks don't arrive for another two weeks. I found an automatic waterer at a farm Auction for $5.00. Cleaned it and it works great. I know I will have to get some sort of heating unit before cold weather though.

Back
Top Bottom