Watering System?

How old are the chicks? If they're too small they may have a very hard time pushing the toggle hard enough to dispense water.

I switched my birds to horizontal nipples last fall (they were using vertical before) and it still took some of them several months to really get the hang of it, even though it was the only water source. I'd pick them up and use their beaks to press against the toggle. Most of them figured it out from that.

Im not sure how old, i think a month by now.

Hmm they should be big enough then.

You can try to force the issue by making that the sole source of water (if you haven't already done so), though I personally would wait until they're a little older before doing that.

You can also try putting something tasty on the toggle to get them to use it, maybe like strawberry jam?

Hmm they should be big enough then.

You can try to force the issue by making that the sole source of water (if you haven't already done so), though I personally would wait until they're a little older before doing that.

You can also try putting something tasty on the toggle to get them to use it, maybe like strawberry jam?

I tried having it the only source of water for a day. I don't want any to die so i put the other water set up in there too. I will try again with something tasty on it.

Are the nipples about back height of the chicks? Do you have a picture of the waterer set up?
I've never had a problem getting 2 - 3 week old chicks to use horizontal nipples. I don't do anything special to make them either.

I tried having it the only source of water for a day. I don't want any to die so i put the other water set up in there too. I will try again with something tasty on it.
How did you determine that they weren't using it? Did you sit and watch them the entire time, monitor for the amount of water dispensed, or other method ...observe signs of dehydration (if so, what specifically)? One thing to keep in mind is the total amount of water released from your container using a nipple water system over the course of a day is likely going to be less than that that you see drop from an open water system.

Back
Top Bottom