WATERY POOP

Stop the corid. Chickens always have cocci, just like ecoli bacteria. Five or six cocci on a microscopic slide is completely normal. However if the slide was loaded with cocci, there would be a problem and they would need corid. Worms arnt your problem since the slide was negative for worm oocysts.
I suspect there is an imbalance of bad bacteria vs good bacteria in their system, aka ecoli bacteria causing the diarrhea. It is passed to other birds via feces. Forget yogurt, electrolytes, gram stains etc etc etc...
I recommend that you mix buttermilk with scrambled eggs and give it to your birds to eat for 3 or 4 days. Then mix it in their feed to make a mash for several more days. Dont add ACV in their water, no meds, no vitamins, no other probiotics...only buttermilk mixed with scrambled eggs. Buttermilk is a better probiotic than yogurt. It is easily absorbed in the digestive tract whereas yogurt tends to pass through them. Buttermilk will help build their immune system and scrambled eggs is extra protein to help build strength.

This certainly makes sense since nothing else has worked. Should I feed them the buttermilk/scrambled egg mixture only as their only source of food or once a day along with their layer feed? Thank you!

Sounds a lot like one of my hens, I tried corid, safeguard, and tylan. The most solid poo has been about like pudding consistency. If I am reading right, they get nothing but scrambled eggs for 3-4 days? My hen is not very interested in them and right now it is very hard to monitor feeding since it is dark when I leave and dark when I get home.

Yep - it's like pudding now and I think it's back to only my roo where it started and passed to two hens. I wasn't sure if they should get only scrambled eggs so yesterday I made scrambled eggs with buttermilk with seven eggs, one egg each. They always have crumbles available so I left it in the coop. Getting ready to scramble their eggs for today now - it's cold out and they gobbled the warm eggs up yesterday.

Someone please let me know if they should get the eggs only. If so, how often and am I making enough? I don't know how much they normally eat daily.

I don't think you are supposed to cook the buttermilk in the eggs just add it afterwards? I would think cooking it kills the bacteria you want.

Last edited:
I had the same type of poop problem; finally got the vet to look into it. There were worm eggs. After deworming, everyone is fine. I learned that chickens can die of worms, so I'm no longer trying to rely on natural treatments.

I had the same type of poop problem; finally got the vet to look into it.  There were worm eggs.  After deworming, everyone is fine.  I learned that chickens can die of worms, so I'm no longer trying to rely on natural treatments. 

I've also had vets find abnormal amounts of gram negative bacteria in a few, and yeast in another.

-Kathy

I've had the vet do all the labs tests. The only question we still have is the gram stain ratio - he said it was 50/50 and I have a separate thread asking what it should be for poultry. They have finished the 14 day Corid treatment and dewormer and it now seems to be only the roo, which is where this started. No parsites were found. Trying the scrambled eggs/buttermilk now, figure it can't hurt. We don't have an avian vet so I'm going to try to locate one in nearby towns. Got to get to the bottom of this.

I've had the vet do all the labs tests. The only question we still have is the gram stain ratio - he said it was 50/50 and I have a separate thread asking what it should be for poultry. They have finished the 14 day Corid treatment and dewormer and it now seems to be only the roo, which is where this started. No parsites were found. Trying the scrambled eggs/buttermilk now, figure it can't hurt.  We don't have an avian vet so I'm going to try to locate one in nearby towns. Got to get to the bottom of this.

Maybe your vet could call an avian vet and consult with them?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom