Wattles and combs?

jelibn1980

Chirping
Jul 25, 2022
Meet Bowie and Not Bowie haha

I've been told on here that one of these is a cockerel (with the whiter tips on his hair). They are 17 weeks now. What age will they get wattles and combs if he is in fact a roo? Do all roos get those no matter the breed or are polish different? My other breeds, the rooster is very obvious.

Attachments

• 20221106_141241.jpg
    20221106_141241.jpg
    946.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221106_141150.jpg
    20221106_141150.jpg
    864.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221106_141109.jpg
    20221106_141109.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 4
Polish are different if they have beards, because that usually inhibits wattle growth. The comb is a pair of tiny little horns on the forehead, so it is difficult to tell with Polish since that is often buried in the crest. I am not really sure that the lighter one is a cockerel since I'm not seeing male specific feathering, but it may be a late bloomer. Time will tell.

Polish are different if they have beards, because that usually inhibits wattle growth. The comb is a pair of tiny little horns on the forehead, so it is difficult to tell with Polish since that is often buried in the crest. I am not really sure that the lighter one is a cockerel since I'm not seeing male specific feathering, but it may be a late bloomer. Time will tell.
I really hope they are both pullets. We didnt plan to have roosters and yet already have 2. My flock is too small for 3! Everything I read talks about their hair and these 2 have matching hairdos. Nothing really shows boy to me either.

I really hope they are both pullets. We didnt plan to have roosters and yet already have 2. My flock is too small for 3! Everything I read talks about their hair and these 2 have matching hairdos. Nothing really shows boy to me either.
The consensus is that they are both pullets, so I think I'd go with that. Also, there is no reason why you have to keep any roosters if you don't want to. Look into re-homing them. There is a forum for that on here, and Craigslist is another good place to advertise.

The consensus is that they are both pullets, so I think I'd go with that. Also, there is no reason why you have to keep any roosters if you don't want to. Look into re-homing them. There is a forum for that on here, and Craigslist is another good place to advertise.
Good to know!! I'm new here. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom