We are new to the chicken world

KJHorton

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2024
My husband and I are new to chicken raising and he has built me a wonderful beautiful coop for the girls and we are open to suggestions in the hat to put in the bottom of the coop in order to prevent muddy situations during summer downpours.
Please and thank you
Kerri

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpeg
    IMG_0574.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Hello Kerri, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

Your run has a solid pitched roof. It should not be muddy unless you have elevation issues that permit water to runoff into the run. If that is the case, you need to divert it with a French drain in front of a swale to direct run off around the run.
I like wood chips as the substrate in my run as they drain well, cold compost the poop load and are organic so the chickens can scratch around in them looking for critters to eat.
run complete.jpg

My husband and I are new to chicken raising and he has built me a wonderful beautiful coop for the girls and we are open to suggestions in the hat to put in the bottom of the coop in order to prevent muddy situations during summer downpours.
Please and thank you
Kerri
Glad you joined us here!

My run has deep litter on the ground: layers of straw, lawn/mower clippings and shredded autumn leaves as a base. It keeps their feet mostly dry, and absorbs water so they don't get muddy.

🙋‍♀️Welcome to BYC!
You have come to the right place! There are tons of people on here ready to help with whatever they can! Just ask!We all share the crazy addition to chickens and other animals!

We live in FL, and basically the swamp so we get ALOT of rain. I have learned over the years that Pine Pellets(horse bedding) are a HUGE plus for our coop because they absorbs water and poop so well. So i use them in my coop then scoop them to the run when cleaning time comes. Or i just add the bags in holes where i need them.. and over timeninhave built up their run to where is no longer holds water at all.

And if you haven't checked already,
The Learning Center
has some great articles to help you along the way!

Cant wait to see you around 🩵

Back
Top Bottom