We got our first egg!!! Now what?

Mybackyardpeepers

Free Ranging
Mar 22, 2019
Michigan
So I'm pretty positive my EE hen layed her first egg today, woot woot!
My "now what?" question is, I have 3 separate age groups in my coop/run.
IMG_20190713_172510183.jpg
IMG_20190713_172620132.jpg
How do I feed three age groups successfully so my older hens get the calcium and my younger ones don't have issues from the calcium? My age groups are: two 4 month olds, 3 three month olds and 4 two month olds. Thanks!

Buy an all flock or flockraiser feed and supply oyster shell or crushed egg shells on the side for the layers. They will eat what they need. Congrats on the egg!
I was going to put my coop ones on a all flock food but the lady who always helps me with Chicken related questions told me to keep them on the chick starter. She said at about 6-8 months start slowly adding layer food in, but my girl decided to lay early.
Do I have to worry about the youngsters eating the oyster shells? Thank you, my daughter (5 yrs old) was soo excited!

Congrats on the egg! :wee
You can put all of them on All Flock now. You don't have to change to layer feed ever, if you don't want to, as long as you provide oyster shell in a separate container. The non layers won't bother with the oyster shell much, but they may take a piece or peck at it. Don't be concerned if they do, they won't eat much of it.

I feed 20% non medicated starter grower all the time, with oyster shell in a separate container. I have 18 week old pullets, 2 year old and 3 year old hens in the same coop. I don't use All Flock, because the mill I buy from doesn't make it. I usually add some chicks every year, it makes it easy not changing feeds.

Congrats on the egg! :wee
You can put all of them on All Flock now. You don't have to change to layer feed ever, if you don't want to, as long as you provide oyster shell in a separate container. The non layers won't bother with the oyster shell much, but they may take a piece or peck at it. Don't be concerned if they do, they won't eat much of it.

I feed 20% non medicated starter grower all the time, with oyster shell in a separate container. I have 18 week old pullets, 2 year old and 3 year old hens in the same coop. I don't use All Flock, because the mill I buy from doesn't make it. I usually add some chicks every year, it makes it easy not changing feeds.
Thank you!!! It was my dad's memorial today so that was a wonderful surprise to a sorta sad day! Awesome, thanks for the expert advice. I'm going to start them on it tomorrow. I was worried when I saw the egg that it would be soft because they are only on chick starter.

Dont eat the egg. Shake the egg for a while. Have a kid do it. Take a thumbtack make a small hole on both ends. Then blow into one end and slowly but surely the contents will come out into a sink or cup or wherever you are blowing it. After a long while and sore cheeks air will start coming out. That means you did it.

Now put the egg somewhere special and you will always remember your first egg. It will last forever...

Sounds crazy but try it

Dont eat the egg. Shake the egg for a while. Have a kid do it. Take a thumbtack make a small hole on both ends. Then blow into one end and slowly but surely the contents will come out into a sink or cup or wherever you are blowing it. After a long while and sore cheeks air will start coming out. That means you did it.

Now put the egg somewhere special and you will always remember your first egg. It will last forever...

Sounds crazy but try it
That is an awesome idea, and we haven't eaten either ones yet (she laid a tiny whiny one the day after).

Back
Top Bottom