We have chicks! Question about ages and Sexing wyandottes

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
So we got chicks from tractor supply. Originally my mom wanted to order online but prices were high and the breeds we wanted were always late shipping dates so today my mom woke me up and said were going shopping and i mentioned tractor supply and she thought about calling and they had just got their shipment in and THEY HAD MY BLACK AUSTRALORPS! I was sooo excited cause everywhere online was out of stock or expensive. So we have black australorp pullets, buff orpington pullets, barred rock pullets and 4 straight run wyandottes. We were told all of them were a day old however the wyandottes look older...

So two questions one

The wyandottes were listed as blue laced but were guessing based on all the chick pictures we've looked up of the different wyandottes they may be silver laced but anyways they look older than the 1 day old chicks not like fluffballs so im guessing their older but I was wondering if anyone has pictures of marked days on chicks so I can compare to guess their age. I'm guessing maybe somewhere around a week.

Also what are some early identifiers to start guessing sexes on wyandottes. Were hoping for a rooster but we are also getting easter eggers, marans from two other people and mixed from our neighbor. So hopefully a rooster comes from one of the four batches lol Apparently my sister in law who will be giving us easter eggers said pointed eggs are roosters but that sounds like a wives tale to me.

Congratulations on getting the chicks you wanted!

Also what are some early identifiers to start guessing sexes on wyandottes.

Unfortunately, Wyandottes are notoriously deceptive as they develop because the rose combs don't show up as quickly and obviously as single combs do and because the females pink up early.

They frequently keep people guessing right up until the boys' male saddle feathers show up around 12 weeks.

Tail feathers can be an indicator but by itself it's not a reliable way to sex. If I had a chick that had other signs of more likely being male (upright posture, friendlier personality, thicker legs) then a slower feathering tail would just add to my suspicions, if that makes sense?
Makes sense lol I told her well find out when they read the age but its still fun trying to guess.
Congratulations on getting the chicks you wanted!

Unfortunately, Wyandottes are notoriously deceptive as they develop because the rose combs don't show up as quickly and obviously as single combs do and because the females pink up early.

They frequently keep people guessing right up until the boys' male saddle feathers show up around 12 weeks.
Yeah I'm happy! Now I just have to stop my mother from trying to name my Australorps lol

So we got chicks from tractor supply. Originally my mom wanted to order online but prices were high and the breeds we wanted were always late shipping dates so today my mom woke me up and said were going shopping and i mentioned tractor supply and she thought about calling and they had just got their shipment in and THEY HAD MY BLACK AUSTRALORPS! I was sooo excited cause everywhere online was out of stock or expensive. So we have black australorp pullets, buff orpington pullets, barred rock pullets and 4 straight run wyandottes. We were told all of them were a day old however the wyandottes look older...

So two questions one

The wyandottes were listed as blue laced but were guessing based on all the chick pictures we've looked up of the different wyandottes they may be silver laced but anyways they look older than the 1 day old chicks not like fluffballs so im guessing their older but I was wondering if anyone has pictures of marked days on chicks so I can compare to guess their age. I'm guessing maybe somewhere around a week.

Also what are some early identifiers to start guessing sexes on wyandottes. Were hoping for a rooster but we are also getting easter eggers, marans from two other people and mixed from our neighbor. So hopefully a rooster comes from one of the four batches lol Apparently my sister in law who will be giving us easter eggers said pointed eggs are roosters but that sounds like a wives tale to me.
I brought my buff Orpington and black laced golden Wyandotte’s from a local farm. I don’t think they hatch them there , I think they resell birds . Anyway my birds have been home one week. And they were probably three days old when I picked up. So they are about 10 days
old . Some are dark and some lighter. But they have wing feathers and most have tail feathers. They are both coming to me when I go into the room.

Attachments

• B81C8C24-662B-43CE-9C84-DA661925AF34.jpeg
    B81C8C24-662B-43CE-9C84-DA661925AF34.jpeg
    604.3 KB · Views: 7
  • A6032DD7-63E4-4F85-960F-09A1C5812D6A.jpeg
    A6032DD7-63E4-4F85-960F-09A1C5812D6A.jpeg
    559.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 76F18647-0ECA-4584-8A3B-35DA1E9A4AD5.jpeg
    76F18647-0ECA-4584-8A3B-35DA1E9A4AD5.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DAEE373D-BBD1-4EAE-AA99-EC6FF59567AA.jpeg
    DAEE373D-BBD1-4EAE-AA99-EC6FF59567AA.jpeg
    645.4 KB · Views: 7
Update: My moms thinking two roosters. I don't have pictures sadly but two of them have more black. While the other two definately look more and more like a gold lace wyandotte with the lacing showing. One has more than the other. But their looking really pretty. Though their still jerks lol. Im still inclined to admit the buff orpingtons and the black australorps are my favorites.

I however have all but detached myself on whether trying to figure out which of the 4 are roosters. We'll find out if/when one starts crowing lol HOWEVER!

Were also getting 2 brahma chicks that are straight run. Bring on the fluffballs lol

I'd be curious to see your pics. I have two Silver Laced Wyandottes that are supposed to be pullets, but it's always interesting to compare...
I don't have very many pictures to show of their aging since I didn't have a phone to take pictures and my parents rarely sent them to my email when I asked. The first three are 3 out of four wyandottes. They were taken april 26th. I wish I had more pictures. We got them March 20th and we were told they were all a day old but we suspect the wyandottes were about a week- week and a half older.

Additional: I just realized in the first picture I think you can see the 4th wyandotte lol. Anyways first picture were guessing females. Other two males. Atleast so far. Nothings started crowing yet lol But either way all four are jerks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_140155666.jpg
    IMG_20230426_140155666.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230426_141850114.jpg
    IMG_20230426_141850114.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230426_143225579.jpg
    IMG_20230426_143225579.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Back