We have our first injury, sprain leg?

GiddyMoon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Of course, as others have mentioned..it's the favorite..

1) What type of bird , age and weight. = Unknown breed, about 5 days old

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

All of a sudden I noticed she was not walking right..didn't want to stand up. Kind of skimpering along on her belly. She was favoring one leg. She loves to be held so I took her out, checked her over..no blood, can't find any swelling, no discoloration, I touched the feet and leg, she was ok, but I could tell she didn't like it, but no specific yell in a specific area. etc..if she HAS to use it, she can and can go fast if she feels she NEEDS to but then plops right down as soon as possible and will lean on one side......no shrill shreaking or anything, but peeps .. I tried putting her back and one lil flighty brown leghorn, the one that is always getting other chicks' toes, went STRAIGHT for her toes too..like she could sense the injury.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Late this afternoon

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? =No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No - I checked for swelling, change of color, blood, nothing. Can't tell if it is her foot, hip, etc.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Flighty chicks running, caught on something - unknown.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. = Chick starter, RACV added to water, is eating and drinking.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I held her for quite awhile to let her get some sleep. When I tried putting her back, she was really not happy about that & the brown leghorn went after her foot so I took her out of the brooder and put her in a big stockpot with food and water / sav a chick mix..and I then added the other favorite..very sweet and docile..I gave them their own light...and they are sleeping..I just checked and they are both eating. I caught her standing up for a few seconds, then sure enough she plopped right down, leaned to her right but kept eating....she seems very happy in this small space with this friend who will not harm her.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I have no idea since I don't know what is going on and she is so young.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

No picture, just holding her foot up or laying on her side to avoid pressure on it.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Large brooder, heavy textured paper towels for bottom...not the slick kind, they have been doing well on it.

This came on really fast and I am wondering if there is anything else I should do or check for?

Sounds to me like you did just what you should have, and about all you can do. Well, you might want to come up with a bit larger brooder for the two separated ones sometime soon, as it may be a while before the leg is well. I have read about a hock deformity (something like a slipped tendon) some chicks get that does not respond to treatment very well, but if there is no warmth or swelling, I don't think this is what is going on. Hopefully it is just a sprain or pulled muscle or the like, and she will be back to normal in a few days.

Good luck!

Thank you. This morning she was fine..and REALLY wanted to go "home". With 26 other moshing chicks, a few flighty leghorns..if one screams run, they all freak out and she gets trampled on.l She did well overnight..she is walking normally now...I am thankful these two are so calm..now to work on a few others..I will keep an eye on her..
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom