We have possums next to the coop

starchicky

Songster
8 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Oregon
So next to the coop we have a large brush and wood pile in the corner of the yard. I also tend to throw any broken eggs into the brush pile. It was when I did this a couple weeks ago that I saw the first possum. We have since trapped two smaller ones, but not the big one I saw. On top of everything I haven't been locking up the coop at night for quite some time. So with all these VERY SMART keeping practices I've been doing I'm surprised my chickens are still alive. In fact I'm not missing eggs either. So I wonder what the possums are eating. Also any tips on deterring the possums or trapping them would be helpful of course. I'm not sure we can dismantle the brush pile at the moment. In the picture the coop is to the left, the trap is under the towel.

If you are tossing broken eggs or any other edible items in the pile that is what they are eating. Your saving grace is the hardware cloth on the run.

The large one is likely the parent and will be much harder to catch. I would be getting in there and at least moving things around a lot to keep the critter guessing. If home is disturbed a lot home is unpleasant and a new one will be sought out.

I would make sure to lock them girls in at night. You may want to add a critter proof latch to the nest box if it is one you can open from the outside of the coop. Someone posted not long ago about a raccoon getting in through the nest box lid.

Make sure that your coop is predator proof and that the flock is locked in every evening. Dismantle the junk pile as soon as possible, and don't have any food items outside of the coop and safe run. Live traps next to the coop, and shoot any varmits you catch, don't relocate! Mary

Well shoot, we already relocated the two we caught. I agree with moving the pile, it's convincing my spouse that it needs to be done. I've also heard of using ammonia to deter them?

Ammonia is hard on the lungs and the chickens are right next to it. I would not do it. It also changes the soil in that area. I would stick to trap and destroy as well as eliminating any reason for them to think it is a good place to be.

With opossums, getting the birds to roost up more than 36" is usually sufficient to keep the critters out assuming the walls cannot be scaled. For dealing with critters like raccoons and opossums I like to have so birds must fly up at least 48" from the ground and that wall / structure supporting roost is not climable. Such does notwork against fox, coyotes, bobcats or owls. As indicated by others I like to remove den sites and food attracting opossums. For me that means no feed in feeders after night nor having feed, especially wet feed out on the ground or anywhere low. That is where fermented feed can be particularly problematic.

Last edited:
Relocating is not advised ... from http://www.paws.org/wildlife/having-a-wildlife-problem/relocating-wildlife/

Quote: And in part from http://audubonportland.org/wcc/urban/relocation

Quote:
  • Relocation is often inhumane. Many animals do not survive relocation. Each year, the Wildlife Care Center is brought hundreds of animals that have become injured or orphaned because of trapping. Animals that are relocated have to fight for new territories and are often injured or killed in the process. Relocation of a mother and young is almost always futile, since she must not only fight for territory, but also find food, shelter, and a safe place to raise her young. Juveniles are most likely abandoned or killed under these circumstances.
  • Relocation is biologically unsound. Relocation of wildlife to new territories can disrupt the wildlife that is already living there. It also is a quick way to spread disease among wildlife populations. In many instances, sick animals are brought to our care center in cages side by side with animals that are about to be relocated.

Possums are not mentioned in particular, but Racoons ... from http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/living_with/raccoon.asp

Quote:
I agree that removing the "attractants" will/should cause it to move along by itself to a more "comfortable" place ...

Back
Top Bottom