We LOVE our new Coop and Run (and so do our chickens)

Jim Q

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2020
Gulf Coast of Alabama
Eleven years ago I downloaded plans for a chicken coop from BYC but alas, our timing and location just weren't right. After moving to a nice property along the Gulf Coast of Alabama we finally got enough time and space so we built a coop and got our cute baby chicks in February. All I can say is what a joy this has been. My wife and I absolutely love having these chuckleheads in our life and we spoil them rotten. We have 9 total; 3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 White Leghorns and 4 Production Reds, all with their unique personalities. I've automated many of our chicken chores to make it easy. After 10+ years of lurking in this forum I can finally post something ! Now my wife and I get it : )

Eleven years ago I downloaded plans for a chicken coop from BYC but alas, our timing and location just weren't right. After moving to a nice property along the Gulf Coast of Alabama we finally got enough time and space so we built a coop and got our cute baby chicks in February. All I can say is what a joy this has been. My wife and I absolutely love having these chuckleheads in our life and we spoil them rotten. We have 9 total; 3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 White Leghorns and 4 Production Reds, all with their unique personalities. I've automated many of our chicken chores to make it easy. After 10+ years of lurking in this forum I can finally post something ! Now my wife and I get it : )
Thanks for the tour!

I'd be interested in a more detailed description of the automatic watering into the RAC waterer, AND your roost bar system. I'm thinking about converting from wooden roosts to something less mite-friendly.

Thanks for the tour!

I'd be interested in a more detailed description of the automatic watering into the RAC waterer, AND your roost bar system. I'm thinking about converting from wooden roosts to something less mite-friendly.
So the roost bar's where they sleep are 2x2 wooden square pieces that I sanded so they have rounded edges. Then I painted them with a high quality brown paint. They are mounted on a trex bar connection system.

The watering system is so simple I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone else doing this. We've been using it for a few months and it's almost no maintenance. I run a 1/4" rubber drip line from (our automatic plant watering system) to a small hole I put in top of the bucket. About 2 inches down from where the drip line comes into the bucket I have another line (overflow) in the bucket that is run outside the coop. This way when the water level gets to the drip overflow, excess water run soutside the coop (and will water what's left of the grass out there.

The watering timer has a hose input and an output that connects to a 1/2 inch drip line hose. The 1/4" rubber tube gets attached to the 1/2" line. and in our case there's a lot of other 1/4" rubber tubes on that 1/2" line to water all our hanging flower pots.

The watering system is so simple
Kinda simple.....IF you already have a drip system set up.

Curious......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1689521048008.png

Kinda simple.....IF you already have a drip system set up.

Curious......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3578592
Thanks for the tips AART, I modified my profile. Much better now.

I used to give people tours of our gardens and honey bees when we lived in Florida so I remember people were always sort of intimidated with drip irrigation. All you need for the chicken water filler is a $34.00 controller from HD/Lowes with a piece of 1/2" drip line to the coop and a few pieces of 1/4" drip line. You also need the $2 tool to poke a hole in the 1/2" line and the pointy connector that inserts into the 1/4" line to the hole you make with that pokey tool (technical term). Program the controller to turn on for 10 minutes a day and you're up and running.

Back
Top Bottom