We processed for the first time!

Congrats! I want to try it so bad, but my hubby used to have to do it as a child and says no way! Glad for you though......Was it gross getting the guts out?

Quote:
Hey it's me...Carolyn. Just to let you know, I' d be willing to process one with you if you'd like the help the first time. It's messy and a little smelly when you fist open them up to get the guts out but you get used to it and it's not so hard after you get the hang of it.

Congrats. Fresh chicken is fantastic.
droolin.gif
No more store bought chickens for my family.
sickbyc.gif

I had a half grown rooster killed by a hawk a few days ago. Saw it happen. I went to bury him and though, now isnt this the perfect opportunity to try and make dog food.

I had read and seen videos over and over, and looked at the many websides that have great pictures. I set out to skin him, and then process him, and was amazed how easy it was. Just look at the many blogs and threads here about processing, and it will be very easy. I wasnt going to gut, but decided to try and it was no problem at all.

I have 2 cornish crosses that are about 8 weeks old that I got from TSC to try. I feel much more confident now that I practised on a half grown rooster.

My family and I did our first batch yesterday. I agree with all here that the first cut was the hardest. We used a knife and I quickly learned about the feathers being a hinderance. I had one chicken that the vein was just in the wrong place ... so that was a bit disturbing ... having to dig around for it. Overall the experience was good. we had some good discussions with my two boys.

The oddest part was when the layers were all clustered in a corner of their coop watching us and clucking. Angela (my wife) thought they were mourning their companions .. but no they were drooling over the feathers. when a few strays went into the coop and they all starting scrambling for it the lights came on. so we would give them a handful every now and then. It was a bit shocking at first but if the meat birds can provide for our table why not let their feathers provide for the flock?

Do NOT feed your girls feathers, it is not food for them to eat. Crop impactation would be a real problem if one didn't get enough grits or death is near.

I would discourage feeding the feathers to other chickens as well so that they don't learn how "tastey" they are. Could lead to a feather picking problem as well as a possible impacted crop. Great job on your first processing! I am going to be trying my hand at it next week.
smile.png

I would have to say the guts part was fairly simple. I had more difficulty with pulling out the crop, esophagus, and wind pipe to be honest. I did manage to get everything out with one swoop; cut around the vent and right into the offal bucket. The feathers must have been in the way during the initial cut. That was not fun. I feel bad that it was not a faster process. Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom