We processed our first bird today! GRAPHIC PICTURES!

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
I ordered some Heritage Rhode Island Reds this year intending on keeping the hens as pretty layers and the cockerels to eventually eat. Well, 8 months later we finally built up the nerve to process the one remaining cockerel we still had.

This was Robin, like I mentioned above he was 8 months old on the 7th of November. I decided to let him grow as long as possible for several reasons. We live in the city and there is a noise ordinance that prohibits keeping roosters (which we're currently working on changing) so I figured Robin would live until he crowed. He belted out his first attempt about a week ago, as he progressively got better and better at crowing over the following days I had to face the fact that it was time for him to go. I also wanted to allow him to live as long as possible and experience things that roosters naturally do- free range, protect his flock, maybe try to mate, etc. Yes I live in California, can you tell?
cool.png
lol.png
I know Robin had a full happy life while he was still here which is exactly what I wanted. The one thing he didn't really do was grow a tail, I don't know why. He had some tail feathers beginning to grow though.

IMG_5446.jpg

After reading about several different ways to cull the bird online we decided to go with cutting the carotid artery, allowing the blood to drain and the bird to fall into a "sleep" a.k.a die. I held him as my partner made the incision and he passed very quickly. We did not have a killing cone to use and I feel like as long as there are two people doing the processing you don't really need one.

IMG_5447.jpg

Then he went into the pot of really hot water.

IMG_5448.jpg

The plucking was the part of processing that I had the most anxiety about but it was surprisingly really easy. The feathers came out with very little effort and we were left with a clean bird.

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

Robin's chest wasn't as meaty as I wanted it to be, I wasn't expecting it to be anything like the birds you buy from the store. His legs though really impressed me.
droolin.gif

After we rinsed the carcass and removed any missed pin feathers he went into an ice bath. I didn't get any pictures of the evisceration process, I was honestly a bit grossed out by the guts and was helping to dispose of them so I didn't really have hands available for the camera.

IMG_5453.jpg

Now he's resting in the fridge, I read that doing this allows the meat to tenderize, we plan on brining him for a day and then slow roast him for dinner on Friday night.

When all was said it done the experience was not as bad as I expected and it was over and done with relatively quickly, from start to finish it took us exactly 1 hour, 4:15 to 5:15. We have 1 more cockerel growing still, a Coronation Sussex, depending on how Robin tastes he will be the next bird that we process.
smile.png

Good job! You have a lot more guts than I have! We are in the country, so we are allowed to have roosters. Out of 12 "pullets" we ended up with on roo, named "Tulip" because we thought he was a girl. He's quite large now and very handsome; I'm thinking he's Fair material! Anyway, he will likely live out his days on our farm, happily crowing and tending "his" flock!

Quote:
Thanks! I couldn't really capture how meaty his legs were, they're very plump. I'm really excited about dinner this Friday.
big_smile.png

Mr. Nappy :

you'll love the meat! You can process the next one without waiting
tongue.png

I'm excited to try this chicken. I've never had anything but store bought bird before, my mouth is already watering.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom