Week Old Silkie Question...My silkies dont like me! (PICS)

Pics

ChickenLVR

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
Northern California
Hi all,
We have 8 one week old silkies that we totally adore. We decided on silkies for several reasons: they are friendly, cant fly and are fairly hardy (from what I have read...these are our first ever chickens)
Well...my silkies dont seem to like us very much! I handle them at least once a day to check for pasty butt and to hopefully get them used to us, but they seem to be scared even at the sight of anyone near their brooder box. When I put my hand in the brooder, they all go to one corner or another to try to get as far as they can away from my hand. Once I pick them up,they squirm a bit and you can tell they are scared or uncomfortable. Is this normal? I have tried putting food in my hand and offer it to them as a friendly gesture, but they still seem afraid. Was I expecting too much in terms of friendliness? I really want them to be family pets and to be comfortable with us all. Do I just need to give them more time? How often and for how long should I be handeling them?

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Last edited:
Handle them daily and talk to them alot ;) Treats help but just letting them get to know you seems to work well also. But, just be prepared you could end up with silkies like this last bunch I got...

They still allow me to carry all 4 at once and they are almost 6 months old. They will all gather around my feet and I just reach down and tuck them all in...there they will stay and talk to me for as long as I wish. I wish the same for you and your chicks..everything except all all these are roos :(

They are beautiful!
Handle them as often as you can. When you put your hand into the brooder go slow, don't startle them. I usually tuck one or two under my shirt when I sit and watch TV, helps to get them used to you and being with you. Stroke the backs of their heads, chicks love it. Hold your hand over them when you hold them like you did in the photo's, so they can "shelter" under it. Talk to them lots so they get used to your voice. And a tried and trusted shortcut to a chicken's heart: a tasty treat, of course!
Hope this helps. Enjoy your babies!

Yes!! Just as 1muttsfan said handle them a lot and they will get used to you soon!! And as of phycoforsilkies...You are very right!! They loove mealworms!! I have been feeding my chickens mealworms for years!!! Good Luck!!

I don't have silkies but most chicks are pretty timid.
bun.gif

When I first got my silkie chicks, I handled them at like three or four times a day. My chickens started liking me at three months old and I took them outside (once they were one month old) every day and sat with them for about three hours. At one month when I put my hand in their brooder, they came to me fast because they knew I had food for them. But, when they were weeks old they were terrified of me still.

Just give them some time I guess. Handle them every single day, about twice or three times a day and if they started to jump out of your hand or move around to much I would put them back in their brooder.

You shouldn't take them out of their brooder away from their light if they are really young though. They need to stay warm, so if they are shaking or don't feel warm in your hand them put them back under the light.

Hope this helps, P.S: Your chicks are cute! What will you name them? ^.^

- Ashley

Last edited:
I didn't read this whole thread, so maybe somebody has already said this, but I don't find Silkies all that "friendly". Docile, yes, more so than some of my other birds, but not more "friendly". Only rarely do I have a bird that doesn't mind being picked up or one that talks a lot to my shoes. But, generally, they aren't like cats, seeking affection. I know some people will say they've had exceptions to this, and that's okay, but I think it's misleading to tell people that Silkies like or want human affection and attention. The more you handle them the less skittish they'll be, but it doesn't mean they'll "love" you---unless you always come bearing treats. Lol :)

Back
Top Bottom