Weird or Old Home Remedies

Quote:
does it cure the nausea by instead making you actally vomit?
tongue.png

Quote:
Yes!!! Aloe Vera is perfectly fine to consume and many do it as part of their "health" regimine...one famous person who does it is Willie Nelson!!! We tried it after purchasing a bottle of pure aloe from a health food store. Its not bad tasting, it is slimey and it is said to have a TON of great properties if taken orally!!!

Quote:
Yes!!! Aloe Vera is perfectly fine to consume and many do it as part of their "health" regimine...one famous person who does it is Willie Nelson!!! We tried it after purchasing a bottle of pure aloe from a health food store. Its not bad tasting, it is slimey and it is said to have a TON of great properties if taken orally!!!

Just be careful when buying aloe vera for use orally, first there are several hundred species of aloe and only some of them have any sort of healing properties. Second many if not most of the products that claim to have aloe in them have such a small amount that it is useless as a health aid and they add it to raise the price and for advertising. Third it not only has to be very high quality aloe in the product but the other ingredients have to be of the same high quality or it just negates the effects of the aloe. Buy products that are high in quality aloe and have a lot of it in them and make sure the other ingredients are not fillers but other vitamins and minerals or have beneficial qualities and wont interfere with the aloe.

Quote:

Just be careful when buying aloe vera for use orally, first there are several hundred species of aloe and only some of them have any sort of healing properties. Second many if not most of the products that claim to have aloe in them have such a small amount that it is useless as a health aid and they add it to raise the price and for advertising. Third it not only has to be very high quality aloe in the product but the other ingredients have to be of the same high quality or it just negates the effects of the aloe. Buy products that are high in quality aloe and have a lot of it in them and make sure the other ingredients are not fillers but other vitamins and minerals or have beneficial qualities and wont interfere with the aloe.

I buy 100% Aloe Vera gel, in the refrigerated section of the health food store no preservatives. Cant drink the green aloe you buy at walmart for sunburns.

When anyone in my fam has a cough or sore throat, Dad will give them a shot of whiskey. It is the most terrible and yet useful cure i know of
sickbyc.gif

Quote:

Down here we have a drink made with actual chunks of aloe vera in it, its incredibly good... let me find the name, i know i have some around somewhere...

didn't read through all of them so I don't know if these have been mentioned:

For bee/wasp stings: Baking Soda and a bit of Vanilla to make a paste OR if we were out my dad would spit chewing tobacco in the dirt and make a paste and put on it -ewww but it did help take the sting out.

Ear aches- blow smoke in the ear. I remember my mama taking us kids over to our grandmas house when we had earaches so she could blow in our ears. weird memory. lol

Chigger bites- take a bath with bleach and oatmeal.

Mosquito bites- rub powder on them, or deodarant, or the dreaded pink calamine lotion

rags dipped in kerosene tied around your ankles to keep the ticks and chiggers off (this one actually does work but who wants to smell like kerosene and be a walking bomb? lol--- my DH never hardly ever gets ticks because he spills gas/diesel/hydraulic fluid/etc on his boot and jeans daily...)

My grandma takes a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of vinegar daily- says it keeps her healthy...she will be 83 this December and she volunteers at the local hospital 3 days a week, works at the senior center 2 days a week, and goes to town on Fridays. She still mows her own yard, washes her windows every Saturday-lives 10 miles from town and drives decently. lol She works out on her town day and swims laps in the pool! She had a heart attack 10 years ago and she has worked out since. She is the most active healthy old woman I know!

For burns- vanilla, mustard, cold meat, cold wash rag

for stains on cabinets-- baking soda and water--make a paste and let it sit awhile and maybe rub it in and then wash off. May have to repeat a few times but it really does work on Cherry Koolaid and white laminate counter tops!

For cleaning coffee pots run vinegar through. Also for the microwave- Boil a cup of vinegar and then wipe clean.

After you bleach your towels or other whites-hang them outside for a brighter white. The sun naturally brightens them. Also if let it dew on your clothes and then dry they will be softer. (but if it rains on them they need to be washed again according to my great grandmother who washed her clothes with rain water and a wringer washer- go figure!)

Rubbing alochol cleans many things including sharpie marker off of micro suede couches and laminate floors... (life with a toddler...and a daddy that wasn't watching...sigh)

for dandruff squeeze a fresh lime onto the scalp, let sit for 2-3 minites and then rinse out. Shampoo regulary.

Also use apple cider vinegar and baking soda to wash hair.

rub the inside of an orange peel on face for an acne free face.

I am sure there are more that I can't think of right now.

Back
Top Bottom