WEIRD TOP TORN VENT???

Chelseyx3

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2023
Hey everyone! I have spent the last ten days dealing with what I thought was vent gleet and caked on feathers. I used tweezers and got the "feather chunk" off above her vent to realize it was torn and scabbed. A fox attacked and I found my girl unable to walk good the next day and not coming out for treats. She's been inside of my bathroom with Epsom salt baths, monistat, honey, recovery911, and scrambled eggs and dark 90% of the time. I'm at a loss here. I have no idea if this "chunk" is meant to be inside of my girl. I've posted on several Facebook chicken groups and nobody knows either! Lol. The pictures are posted from most recent (today) to 6 days ago. Her poop is still mostly urates like it's leaking and can't come out good as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20230423_143338378.jpg
    IMG_20230423_143338378.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20230423_143315778_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230423_143315778_HDR.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230421_115111696.jpg
    IMG_20230421_115111696.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230421_120452944.jpg
    IMG_20230421_120452944.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230419_123240827_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230419_123240827_HDR.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 9
I'd work on her eating her normal feed.
Give her a little white cooked rice with buttermilk once daily as a treat.

The vent has been damaged from the attack so it will take time to heal. She may have lost some muscle tone and she may always have an issue with urates leaking, hard to know.

How bad is it? It would be helpful if you’d put your chicken inside your house or just build a stronger chicken coop, also bringing her to the vet would help give her medicine for her poop problem and I think it should be fine?

How bad is it? It would be helpful if you’d put your chicken inside your house or just build a stronger chicken coop, also bringing her to the vet would help give her medicine for her poop problem and I think it should be fine?
Her coop is completely proofed. Like completely. No way inside. They were actually outside free roaming and we found a fox den with babies and the DEC couldn't relocate because of it. It's not to bad now. It's healing so fast I just don't know what to do about that weird ball where it's torn. I've called all 7 vets and none would even stitch her. The closest avian vet is in Bedford and it'd be around a 9 hour drive around. She's been inside for a 11 days now. She's so spoiled lol.

I'd work on her eating her normal feed.
Give her a little white cooked rice with buttermilk once daily as a treat.

The vent has been damaged from the attack so it will take time to heal. She may have lost some muscle tone and she may always have an issue with urates leaking, hard to know.
Is buttermilk available at Walmart? I'm at work and can go on break! I gave her pellets yesterday and this morning before leaving they were actually becoming solid! Yay!

This is a partial prolapse or a polyp. A trip to an avian vet who is skilled with laser surgery can make a quick fix of this. A few zaps and it will be gone. I had a cockatiel who did this and she did very well after surgery. Otherwise watch carefully and keep the others from pecking it.

Its healing but won't go back in at all. I've tried all the tricks. It's turning hard like cartilage but still very pink. I have no avian vets around unfortunately

Its healing but won't go back in at all. I've tried all the tricks. It's turning hard like cartilage but still very pink. I have no avian vets around unfortunately

It may heal up and be fine. Time will tell. If it's scar tissue then it may reduce with the passage of time. You will have to watch her if she lays, to make sure she doesn't have any issues with that, and hopefully no other damage that isn't visible. If droppings are an issue then you can trim feathers under the vent to help keep them from sticking, but she may need regular clean ups to keep her skin from getting irritated. You can coat it with vaseline to help keep them from sticking also.

It may heal up and be fine. Time will tell. If it's scar tissue then it may reduce with the passage of time. You will have to watch her if she lays, to make sure she doesn't have any issues with that, and hopefully no other damage that isn't visible. If droppings are an issue then you can trim feathers under the vent to help keep them from sticking, but she may need regular clean ups to keep her skin from getting irritated. You can coat it with vaseline to help keep them from sticking also.
I'm praying it heals okay and she doesn't end up laying internally because of it. Maybe I'll be lucky and she won't try and lay again if that's possible. She's such a good girl. I wouldn't mind at all. I switched her back to feed yesterday and stopped withholding all her food besides the small stuff and it seems that she isn't leaking the urates quite as much and she had huge massive piles of solid poop and her bottom isn't really messy at all. But her feathers are cut short so I guess like you said time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom