WEIRD TOP TORN VENT???

Is buttermilk available at Walmart? I'm at work and can go on break! I gave her pellets yesterday and this morning before leaving they were actually becoming solid! Yay!

I'm praying it heals okay and she doesn't end up laying internally because of it. Maybe I'll be lucky and she won't try and lay again if that's possible. She's such a good girl. I wouldn't mind at all. I switched her back to feed yesterday and stopped withholding all her food besides the small stuff and it seems that she isn't leaking the urates quite as much and she had huge massive piles of solid poop and her bottom isn't really messy at all. But her feathers are cut short so I guess like you said time will tell.
Yes, you can find buttermilk at Walmart.

It's great that her poop is firming back up, it sounds like her eating her normal feed is making a difference.

Hopefully she'll heal up as time goes by.

Yes, you can find buttermilk at Walmart.

It's great that her poop is firming back up, it sounds like her eating her normal feed is making a difference.

Hopefully she'll heal up as time goes by.
I never knew combs could get so bright and red. I definitely need to make these same changes to my girls that are outside as well. She's so shiney lol.

I never knew combs could get so bright and red. I definitely need to make these same changes to my girls that are outside as well. She's so shiney lol.
My girl has beat all odds. Idk how but she laid an egg for the first time in weeks!! She's in the dark 85% of the time unless being fed/watered and bathed!!! In a dark bathroom with a blanket over at all times.

Well, that's a good sign! If all went well, then she may be just fine. I would keep an eye on her for a while though, just to be safe.
The shell was very thin but otherwise perfect size and shape! No blood either. I just don't understand how she was able to lay lol. It's been dark besides maybe 2-3 hrs a day. She's going to remain inside until her feathers grow in more and the rest of that little tear ball is healed fully. It still has some rawness on the edges. She should be good to go and reintroduced by next weekend!

I'm praying it heals okay and she doesn't end up laying internally because of it. Maybe I'll be lucky and she won't try and lay again if that's possible. She's such a good girl. I wouldn't mind at all. I switched her back to feed yesterday and stopped withholding all her food besides the small stuff and it seems that she isn't leaking the urates quite as much and she had huge massive piles of solid poop and her bottom isn't really messy at all. But her feathers are cut short so I guess like you said time will tell.
How did your girl do? I am dealing with a vent injury as well, not exactly like yours but I am not sure what to expect....

How did your girl do? I am dealing with a vent injury as well, not exactly like yours but I am not sure what to expect....
She's perfect and amazing!! I do have to clean back there every 3 weeks -ish because her poop comes out funny at the fold where the vent stuck back together at the top lip but besides that it's all good. Do you have pictures? I can take a look if you'd like.

Oh that is so good to hear!! I'm hoping my little girl will be resilient too! I'll attach my photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 7
Oh that is so good to hear!! I'm hoping my little girl will be resilient too! I'll attach my photos.

Is her vent sealed together? It looks like it is in a few pictures. What are you using on it? I kept my girls sprayed down with vetericyn every 3-4 hrs and put mounds of triple antibiotic on it (without pain reliever. The vet also told me not to do Epsom salts. He said it dries out the skin and cracks it and allows more scabbing to form and opens up areas for infection. It looks a little necrotic but for the most part it's staying pink. I'll attach what ended up being a game changer for my girl during soaks. It broke her scabs right off when I pulled to clean around them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230804-195608.png
    Screenshot_20230804-195608.png
    524.1 KB · Views: 7
Is her vent sealed together? It looks like it is in a few pictures. What are you using on it? I kept my girls sprayed down with vetericyn every 3-4 hrs and put mounds of triple antibiotic on it (without pain reliever. The vet also told me not to do Epsom salts. He said it dries out the skin and cracks it and allows more scabbing to form and opens up areas for infection. It looks a little necrotic but for the most part it's staying pink. I'll attach what ended up being a game changer for my girl during soaks. It broke her scabs right off when I pulled to clean around them
Oh that is so helpful thank you!! I did an epsom salt this morning for about 10 minutes to clear away poop. So I will hold on those from now on, thank you! I sprayed it with the vet spray several times today and I put some raw manuka honey on it just because I didn't know what else to do. Her vent is not sealed together thankfully, a little bit is even prolapsed but not a lot, it's pulsing so it's hard to get a photo that shows the small prolapse area. That dried crusty is all around the top and some of the skin under it. I think it's possible a hawk came down, she has a leg wound too and they were all terrified, I had only turned my back when something happened and my daughter thought it may have been a hawk. I have also done electrolytes, probiotics and vitamins in the water and some oregano in the food for what it is worth. She is acting just fine but you can tell it's painful to poop. So I need to keep that crusty area taken care of? I will get that product you posted!!

Back
Top Bottom