Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

@Alaskan or anyone else who keeps chickens in sever cold.
I've had a PM from pippi_smiles asking advice about heat lamp etc for conditions -35 wind chill.
Anyone feel like helping her out?
I don't put heat lamps in my coop, even in the coldest weather. Windchill is not relevant if your chickens are not exposed to the wind. It is currently -15 F here, and my chickens are doing fine. They are in a well ventilated coop with plenty of food and water, and a thick layer of hay on the floor. (I usually use straw, but hay is what we have available right now.) Tomorrow's "high" is going to be -18. The lows tonight and tomorrow night are going to be in the -30's. Temperature - not windchills. They may get chilled, but they do fluff up and that helps trap the heat near their bodies. I make sure there are no drafts. I have even closed the pop doors on the coops. That usually doesn't happen until it's in the teens below zero.

ETA - I believe that adding heat may cause them to be more uncomfortable since they are equipped with their down coats and they can't take them off if they get too hot. I don't know what kind of coop Pippi has. If it's a large, roomy one where the chickens can go warm up and then move away, it would probably be OK. But if it's a little prefab where there is likely no ventilation and they can't move away from the heat, I wouldn't do it. The other thing to consider is fire risk - especially with a small coop.

I don't put heat lamps in my coop, even in the coldest weather. Windchill is not relevant if your chickens are not exposed to the wind. It is currently -15 F here, and my chickens are doing fine. They are in a well ventilated coop with plenty of food and water, and a thick layer of hay on the floor. (I usually use straw, but hay is what we have available right now.) Tomorrow's "high" is going to be -18. The lows tonight and tomorrow night are going to be in the -30's. Temperature - not windchills. They may get chilled, but they do fluff up and that helps trap the heat near their bodies. I make sure there are no drafts. I have even closed the pop doors on the coops. That usually doesn't happen until it's in the teens below zero.

ETA - I believe that adding heat may cause them to be more uncomfortable since they are equipped with their down coats and they can't take them off if they get too hot. I don't know what kind of coop Pippi has. If it's a large, roomy one where the chickens can go warm up and then move away, it would probably be OK. But if it's a little prefab where there is likely no ventilation and they can't move away from the heat, I wouldn't do it. The other thing to consider is fire risk - especially with a small coop.
Thanks bobbi-j.
I wouldn't have been my first choice for advice on cold weather chicken keeping given I live in Spain.:D
I've suggested not to use a heat lamp. Her coop is 8x8, I assume thats feet with 17 chickens in it. I suggested a good layer of straw and shut any large openings that face the prevailing wind.

We didn’t get any snow..... yet. Friday I think it’s supposed to get here and we won’t get above freezing again until Saturday. After being 55 degrees yesterday! :rolleyes:

Mostly iced over, but my duck had a decent sized hole yesterday. Hopefully he can keep it open thru this next cold snap.
View attachment 1656820 View attachment 1656821

-shudder-

Pretty duck....but he looks like a sitting duck. :oops:

Even with my powerful muscovy I won't let them on the pond unless there are at least 3 of them. 5 or more, way better.

:he Neglected to reply to this. Only if they remember where they 'put things away'. Princess is organized, and the house is neat and clean but we still have no idea where our passports went. It's not a real big house either.

Ha! Nice to know that it isn't only because we are messy! :)

I always put important things in a special place- except can't remember where special
place is. :barnie

I have that same problem. :old I at times catch myself, and I have to tell myself "dont you DARE put it in a safe place.... put it where you will fond it!!" Sadly, 8 don't always listen.

I just have nowhere to put things.. and dh decided to get the rest of our things out of storage, a good thing, one less monthly bill.. I just wish he'd have finished building shelves to put it all on first..:th

Yep... we have that problem too... kept getting more books, even after all shelves were full... :barnie stacks of books on the floor call for junk to join them! :rant

Yep! Looks nice!

@Alaskan or anyone else who keeps chickens in sever cold.
I've had a PM from pippi_smiles asking advice about heat lamp etc for conditions -35 wind chill.
Anyone feel like helping her out?

I have been pming her... she pm-ed me first. :)

Windchill is not relevant if your chickens are not exposed to the wind.

Yeah... that windchill is just hype.. how many people (or animals) are dumb enough to stand in the wind?

Ok....ok.... so maybe there are people who need the heads up. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom