Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

So, I know what chickens need re: housing. Are there any major differences for ducks? I know that ducks need to be able to dunk their heads to clean their nares, so nipple waterers are out (or, at least, I can't solely have nipple waterers), and medicated feed is out (not that I plan to buy medicated chick feed if there is any other option)--and if I haven't any choice, add niacin somehow. What kind of sleeping arrangements? Do ducks perch, or snuggle on the floor? (I'm getting calls, and will probably look around for muscovy.) I know I could go to the duck forum and research myself, but I already know the duck Ponders know what they are talking about:plbb

medicated feed is out (not that I plan to buy medicated chick feed if there is any other option)

If there isn't any other option, then do use the medicated feed for them without worrying. It's safe for ducks, unless it's medicated for blackhead, but that would really only be turkey feed that you might run into that.

What kind of sleeping arrangements? Do ducks perch, or snuggle on the floor? (I'm getting calls, and will probably look around for muscovy.)

Calls sleep together on the floor, muscovy perch and roost like chickens :)

If there isn't any other option, then do use the medicated feed for them without worrying. It's safe for ducks, unless it's medicated for blackhead, but that would really only be turkey feed that you might run into that.

Calls sleep together on the floor, muscovy perch and roost like chickens :)

Oh, OK, great to know! I do need to get around to actually going to the local feed stores to check their prices--I go into Cookeville to get dogfood 'cause neither of the feedstores in Gainesboro carry what they eat (I should check hours, too, to see if picking up on the way home from work is feasible, or if I'll need to make trips in on my day off (not that it's far, anyway). I'm not that far from RJohns, so I might look into turkeys eventually, too.

Are there any major differences for ducks?
I REALLY prefer segregated housing. It just keeps everything cleaner.

"Regular" ducks are super messy, and when they get the ground wet they drill deep holes with their bills. :sick

Muscovy, if you keep the density down, will actually keep weeds in their run(ok... not grass, but a nice green carpet of weeds... looks better than mud or dirt)

What kind of sleeping arrangements? Do ducks perch, or snuggle on the floor? (I'm getting calls, and will probably look around for muscovy.)

As to sleeping... ... ... my muscovy females perch up, wherever up is. However my muscovy males really can't get up, and so sleep on the ground.

When spring rolls around all of the muscovy sleep on the ground since everyone is broody.

So, I know what chickens need re: housing. Are there any major differences for ducks? I know that ducks need to be able to dunk their heads to clean their nares, so nipple waterers are out (or, at least, I can't solely have nipple waterers), and medicated feed is out (not that I plan to buy medicated chick feed if there is any other option)--and if I haven't any choice, add niacin somehow. What kind of sleeping arrangements? Do ducks perch, or snuggle on the floor? (I'm getting calls, and will probably look around for muscovy.) I know I could go to the duck forum and research myself, but I already know the duck Ponders know what they are talking about:plbb
Ya a a. .we are gonna have another call duck person at the pond :celebrate
You'll love them.

Darned osprey attacked my ducklings! :rant i just got home with bird netting and came inside for a minute and that is all it took. :he 20190403_153249.jpg

People ARE SO STUPID.

Current :he

"I will ignore the leaking roof, for years, spend money on other things... refuse to economize in any way, and then ask you for your money to fix the roof, and try to get you to feel bad that I have a house with a leaking roof" :he

I have no idea why somebody elses leaky roof would be your problem.:idunnoI bet its family right? Family always thinks they can guilt you. Don't let them.

I had a cousins wife whos daughter was getting married. Small backyard wedding with just a few people (they had been living together & already had a kid, so no big deal.) They saw 3 coconut cakes from Sams Club that I'd bought & fancied up for somebody elses party & asked if I could do that for their wedding (free.) I said I'd be happy to & I'd even decorate it with ribbons/flowers in her wedding colors (again, at my own expense.) 3 wks before the wedding they call me & ask if I'm still bringing the cakes, I said of course I am. They then tell me great, but we don't want Sams cakes anymore, we want one of those custom made multi layer mad hatter cakes & thank you so much for volunteering to get it. :thThose two were master manipulators & could guilt anybody into anything. I was so pissed & felt like a total jerk for telling them no bleeping way was I doing that. :mad: Then they tried to make out like I was ruining the wedding because they couldnt afford to buy them & I promised, blah, blah, blah, guilt, guilt, guilt. I repeated exactly what I'd promised & said there was no problem at all if they wanted someone else do it. In the end the coconut cakes looked beautiful & tasted amazing, but they never thanked me & just gave condescending smiles like I had been granted some great honor & ruined their wedding in return. I honestly don't think anybody had ever said no to them before. They were the most professional scammers I've ever met.
There are two morals to this story;
#1 No guilt... Just say no.
#2 Sams makes a wicked coconut cake & if you get the chance, you should buy one.

People ARE SO STUPID.

Current :he

"I will ignore the leaking roof, for years, spend money on other things... refuse to economize in any way, and then ask you for your money to fix the roof, and try to get you to feel bad that I have a house with a leaking roof" :he

I have no idea why somebody elses leaky roof would be your problem.:idunnoI bet its family right? Family always thinks they can guilt you. Don't let them.

I had a cousins wife whos daughter was getting married. Small backyard wedding with just a few people (they had been living together & already had a kid, so no big deal.) They saw 3 coconut cakes from Sams Club that I'd bought & fancied up for somebody elses party & asked if I could do that for their wedding (free.) I said I'd be happy to & I'd even decorate it with ribbons/flowers in her wedding colors (again, at my own expense.) 3 wks before the wedding they call me & ask if I'm still bringing the cakes, I said of course I am. They then tell me great, but we don't want Sams cakes anymore, we want one of those custom made multi layer mad hatter cakes & thank you so much for volunteering to get it. :thThose two were master manipulators & could guilt anybody into anything. I was so pissed & felt like a total jerk for telling them no bleeping way was I doing that. :mad: Then they tried to make out like I was ruining the wedding because they couldnt afford to buy them & I promised, blah, blah, blah, guilt, guilt, guilt. I repeated exactly what I'd promised & said there was no problem at all if they wanted someone else do it. In the end the coconut cakes looked beautiful & tasted amazing, but they never thanked me & just gave condescending smiles like I had been granted some great honor & ruined their wedding in return. I honestly don't think anybody had ever said no to them before. They were the most professional scammers I've ever met.
#2 Sams makes a wicked coconut cake & if you get the chance, you should buy one.
Tell me about it.
Preach pond!! :bow

Oldest just text and asked if we could put a couple hundred in her account cause her car is acting up.
Her car is newer than anything we own.
They just got a 5,000 dollar tax return. WHAT THE! :he

Yep, you guessed it! Not even my sisters.... the woman who married my uncle, ACRIMONIOUSLY divorced him (fleecing him for all he is worth) and then just remarried him this past September. She won't let us see the family home.... buy any of the furniture that is getting ruined because they NEVER fixed the roof.....

And now want us to help pay to fix it. :th

Exactly! My mind is blown! :barnie

Back
Top Bottom