Welded wire vs hardware cloth

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I actually use both to cover my run. It's too hot some nights to lock them up behind the steel door. Originally we used welded wire, but I always read that hardware cloth was "stronger". Now I have both, I'm not so sure the hardware cloth is stronger/sturdier then welded wire. Welded wire feels sturdier to me, but not weasel or mink safe. I'm very pleased to use both. Here are photos of my run and many(costly) adjustments! In the end I'm finally pleased with the results. I can now leave the coop door open at night. Our coop is a room we built inside our garage.

Not happy with this at all! Shading was very minimal.
chicken2011014.jpg

Added a steel roof and side panel for extra protection.
4ac1e51b.jpg

Winterized
600262c2-f91d-fa0c.jpg

Free range access door
600262c2-f953-36fa.jpg

Finally hardware cloth added!
600262c2-f979-49dc.jpg

Up close
600262c2-f98c-88a2.jpg

I free range all day long, this is for hawk and night protection.

Last edited:
My coop has only wood and 'hardware cloth' down here people use the two terms interchangeably at the big box stores (might just be lack of training), I find welded wire to be of thicker gauge but larger holes overall in general.

I have rabbits in there and the greyhound nor the pit bull have gotten in.

(both are still under training, neither are rabbit safe, both are bird 'safe' when supervised)

I was not pleased with the space gaps of the welded wire. I could never leave my door open in fear of weasels. We have a 4 acre lot with 3 acres of woods. I imagine there are plenty of weasels and mink in my backyard. You run looks very nice!

I'm very pleased with the hardware cloth! Actually, using both wires has me feeling better about their safety.

We cut out the welded wire on top of the roof in one piece. All the leftover wire, we gave to our neighbor. We spent so much money on it and throwing it away seemed unnecessary. I love our roof. It adds protection of the sun, rain and snow.

Our run cost 10x's more or so then we planned. It's well worth buying the hardware cloth if your not locking up your flock at night inside a coop. Hopefully, nothing will get past our double wiring. Our welded wire is buried 18 inches in the ground.

I actually use both to cover my run. It's too hot some nights to lock them up behind the steel door. Originally we used welded wire, but I always read that hardware cloth was "stronger". Now I have both, I'm not so sure the hardware cloth is stronger/sturdier then welded wire. Welded wire feels sturdier to me, but not weasel or mink safe. I'm very pleased to use both. Here are photos of my run and many(costly) adjustments! In the end I'm finally pleased with the results. I can now leave the coop door open at night. Our coop is a room we built inside our garage.

Not happy with this at all! Shading was very minimal.
chicken2011014.jpg

Added a steel roof and side panel for extra protection.
4ac1e51b.jpg

Winterized
600262c2-f91d-fa0c.jpg

Free range access door
600262c2-f953-36fa.jpg

Finally hardware cloth added!
600262c2-f979-49dc.jpg

Up close
600262c2-f98c-88a2.jpg

I free range all day long, this is for hawk and night protection.
Why is the welded wire not mink safe?

Why is the welded wire not mink safe?
Depends on the size of the openings in the mesh.
The most common mesh referred to as 'welded wire' has 2x4" openings, easy for most weasels to go thru.
You can get 1/2 x 1" welded wire mesh that should deter all of the weasel family.

Back
Top Bottom