Well that's a first...

Mezzer

Songster
Jan 14, 2016
I let the chickens out of the run to free range in the yard during the day and the bloody rooster attacked my legs! (Biting and scratching) so after being a tad surprised, I guess the honeymoon is over huh? Lol, after a few seconds I made sure he was running away from me!! He still wanted to go after me but Everytime I made him back down and run away. That the right thing to do?? Lol

You'll need to learn to 'dominate' him without a weapon.

In the future, he will calm down enough for me to work with him and hopefully he will know that I'm in charge. But for now I want to impress upon him that I an bigger and to not challenge humans. Spring is coming and he's still a very young rooster, I want him to be submissive as much as possible before all male animals lose what sanity they have in the meantime. :b

They do sell a cheaper incubator if you don't mind turning your eggs and monkeying with them, you could try your hand at doing it yourself. I always use my Bantam hens for my hatching, but occasionally a big breed hen goes broody. Wishing you luck no matter what you decide.

Some breeds are more mellow. Plus don't handle them as chicks, keep the boys slightly Leary and fearful of you, so he can grow up knowing you aren't a chicken who needs his attention.

I'm gonna carry a water bottle with me in the mornings now and chalk it up to early morning friskiness. I've Been watching him today and making sure my presence is known, and no signs of aggression. He is sure keeping a eye on me though. Lol. I sure hope my neighbors did not see me chasing a rooster...

Back
Top Bottom