Welsh Harlequin

Yeeeeeah.... I've officially given in.
1f615.png
1f609.png
He's so stinkin sweet, I don't really have anything to whine about. He's such a laid back and good boy. At this point, right? Hormones haven't hit him like a freight train.

When I took them out earlier today, Tater felt the need to get the grass I was laying on. He was trying to make his way under my arm. It was so cute, I moved up some so he could wedge his fat hiney through. He popped up right in my face, eyeballed me and went back to finding the perfect blade of grass... Thanks Mom! Lol

And now I know that adorable little face and personality will grow into a very handsome young man!
1f609.png
(I'm so hooked on ducks now!)

Well, we've had some issues lately with our Pekin drake, 'Squirt' over powering our smallest Welshie 'Sweet Pea' now that it's mating season and nature has taken over his drive - he's just much bigger than she is :(

He's gotten into the habit of grabbing her head (as apposed to the back of her neck) in his much bigger bill, and this has caused an injury to Sweet Peas' left eye. It's healing up well now, and she has full use of it - I just don't want it to happen again.

Squirt doesn't mess with our other two female Welshies much, and our Khaki female doesn't take any crap from him (she's in charge here)

We've tried separating them for the past week - keeping Sweet Pea in the house in a soft pen at night, and only letting her out with the others while supervised.

However, Squirt still chases after her when we take them out for supervised yard time, it isn't convenient for us to keep separating them, and Sweet Pea doesn't like being separated - even with a pen mate at night.

Rather than re-home Squirt (drakes are nearly impossible to re-home), or send Squirt to freezer camp (our ducks are pets - he was our first duck, and has a great, outgoing personality), we think it might be better to find a loving, 'freezer camp free' home with an established flock for Sweet Pea.

So, we are looking to re-home Sweet Pea.

She is a 7 month old (hatched September 8th, 2014) Silver Phase female from Metzer farms, with absolutely beautiful coloring . . .

That's her on the left, photo taken today (you can see the area around her eye is still healing):

. . . . .

Just an update - we've re-arranged the living accommodations in the duck barn to give Sweet Pea a more protected sleeping area, and are going to try to push through for the time being - Sweet Pea will be staying here with her flock for now. :)

Thank you for your comments and concern!!

Dan

Just an update - we've re-arranged the living accommodations in the duck barn to give Sweet Pea a more protected sleeping area, and are going to try to push through for the time being - Sweet Pea will be staying here with her flock for now. :)

Thank you for your comments and concern!!

Dan
Hope this works out for you!!!

How bad is the bleeding? Can you see the damage? Pics? Corn starch or flour can help with some minor bleeding on the head and body if it hasn't coagulated on its own, but would need to see a vet most likely for the beak bleeding. Pics would help, but I would probably see a vet. So sorry to hear he got hurt :(

Oh my gosh. The poor dear
hit.gif

Is he eating and drinking? Hopefully the experts will be here soon. I'd say he needs a vet looking at that, but I'm no expert. I'll keep him in my prayers. Hugs to you

Back
Top Bottom