Welsh Harlequin

I hope he's going to be ok!
hugs.gif

Well looks as if one of my hens are going broody. She had about 7 eggs now. For the last few years during spring I would try and leave 6-8 eggs inside the nesting box. Marking each with a date, and just remove the oldest on each day. After a few weeks of doing that one of them will always go broody. Something you might this spring.

Last edited:
Well looks as if one of my hens are going broody. She had about 7 eggs now. For the last few years during spring I would try and leave 6-8 eggs inside the nesting box. Marking each with a date, and just remove the oldest on each day. After a few weeks of doing that one of them will always go broody. Something you might this spring.

Cutie!

Can someone please help? My little girl is limping and isn't putting much weight on her leg at all :( I caught her yesterday to have a look to see if I could see any cuts or anything but all looks normal to me.. two days now and it's not getting any better :(
Any suggestions??

Can someone please help? My little girl is limping and isn't putting much weight on her leg at all
sad.png
I caught her yesterday to have a look to see if I could see any cuts or anything but all looks normal to me.. two days now and it's not getting any better
sad.png

Any suggestions??
How old is she? What are you feeding? Are you giving her extra Niacin or brewers yeast? Could be a Niacin deficiency. Adding plain Niacin (150mg/gallon of water) or Brewer's or Nutritional Yeast sprinkled on her food should show improvement with a few days if that's the issue. Won't hurt her if it's not the issue, as they need it anyway (not enough in commercial feed). The EGGsperts will chime in shortly I'm sure!

How old is she? What are you feeding? Are you giving her extra Niacin or brewers yeast? Could be a Niacin deficiency. Adding plain Niacin (150mg/gallon of water) or Brewer's or Nutritional Yeast sprinkled on her food should show improvement with a few days if that's the issue. Won't hurt her if it's not the issue, as they need it anyway (not enough in commercial feed). The EGGsperts will chime in shortly I'm sure!

Thank you for replying :) she Is approximately 1 year old.. will go first thing tomorrow to get some! Will it be available in most feed stores ?
In the meantime should I seperate her from the others (3 pekins and 1 appleyard) ?

Thank you for replying
smile.png
she Is approximately 1 year old.. will go first thing tomorrow to get some! Will it be available in most feed stores ?
In the meantime should I seperate her from the others (3 pekins and 1 appleyard) ?
No need to seperate her because she'd be lonely without her pals, and the Niacin will be good for all of them. Plain Niacin is getting harder to find, so you're best bet is most likely either Brewer's Yeast or Nutritional Yeast, which you can find at grocery stores, or even Walmart usually. If it's the plain Niacin you seek, I found mine for Cas at a local Vitamin store that carries nothing but Vitamins and nutritional supplements.

The vitamin (just Niacin) would be dissolved in the water (100-150mg to each gallon of water) and the yeast would be sprinkled on their feed (I think it's 1 teaspoon to each cup of feed?).

Note: If you find plain Niacin, make sure it is the NICTONIC ACID kind, and doesn't say things like "time release", "flush free", "no flush", etc.

No need to seperate her because she'd be lonely without her pals, and the Niacin will be good for all of them. Plain Niacin is getting harder to find, so you're best bet is most likely either Brewer's Yeast or Nutritional Yeast, which you can find at grocery stores, or even Walmart usually. If it's the plain Niacin you seek, I found mine for Cas at a local Vitamin store that carries nothing but Vitamins and nutritional supplements.

The vitamin (just Niacin) would be dissolved in the water (100-150mg to each gallon of water) and the yeast would be sprinkled on their feed (I think it's 1 teaspoon to each cup of feed?).

Note: If you find plain Niacin, make sure it is the NICTONIC ACID kind, and doesn't say things like "time release", "flush free", "no flush", etc.

I use one Tablespoon per cup of feed.

Back
Top Bottom