Welsh Harlequin

Sexing? I am pretty sure this is a quad of 3 gold phase females and a silver male, but some of the "females" have greener bills than I like. These are my first ducks so I would like to see what you think. All 3 gold have similar/near identical light pattern, silver is the one with the darker head in the back right with the dark breast feathers. They are about 11 weeks.

Last edited:
Here are my new babies!

Tatooed - the breast color can help identify them as can the pattern, but what I have found to be 99% true is the dark ring around the beak, and the pattern on the dark feathers leading to the tail. Pin striping is mail, and lacing effect is female. These 2 things have ALWAYS held true for me. Even when I hatched out an extremely masculine female this year...
It almost looks like there will be a ring around her beak, but there isn't she's just got a very dark head. But, notice the pattern towards the tail... it's got an almost laced look. The boys tend to look more like pinstripes. See how dark her chest is? Completely mahogany a typically male thing, as well as the darker patterning on her back. I'm curious as to her final coloration but don't have long to wait, she;s in her last juvenile molt now and will be in her breeding plumage soon.
I would consider the parentage. If you are dealing with hatchery birds the mother could have been yellow billed and might lead to the greener bills. I can tell you've definitely got the 1 male, but I can't see the last bird well enough in the background. Good luck, keep us posted on them.

Is my gal a gold phase? She came from Metzer and has no blue on her wings at all. She has always been pretty dark as a duckling and my avatar is a her before she was laying. This is her now

Sexing? I am pretty sure this is a quad of 3 gold phase females and a silver male, but some of the "females" have greener bills than I like. These are my first ducks so I would like to see what you think. All 3 gold have similar/near identical light pattern, silver is the one with the darker head in the back right with the dark breast feathers. They are about 11 weeks.
They all look like sliver to me. Notice the blue on their wings. Also they are still quite young. I noticed their legs are not right yet either. But that could be the lighting. Drake legs should be turning orange. And ducks should be dark gray. Again give them time they will turn into some really nice examples of WH ducks.

There is only one silver. Perhaps these are not the best photos, but only one of these guys has blue wing spectrums- the others are all a golden/olive color. I am certain of color phases, just not positive on sex.

Back
Top Bottom