Welsh Harlequin

These were some of the first WH that I had (Sand Hill stock)
0016.jpg

and here is the last WH duck that I had (Holderread stock). She lives in OR now.
100_2667.jpg

I love WH ducks, they are just the most beautiful and pro-duck-tive birds.
I would buy from Holderread or Sandhill for the best quality.
Although, there is a benefit in buying from Metzer, they will sex the ducklings for a small charge so that you can buy mostly females if you dont want to have to cull extra males. That is a big issue for some folks.

chel

Wow! I did NOT need to see this post...LOL

Dances with ducks...maybe we need to do an order together this Summer. Can we mix dark khaki's and wh's???

Wifezilla
You could mate a Gold WH with a dark Campbell hen and the drakelets will look like dark Campbells and the ducklets will be khaki. You could also take your khaki Campbell drake and mate him with a silver WH hen and get the same result. Whether these would be considered true Campbells, I don't know.
As far as ordering some ducks?
hu.gif
barnie.gif
I'm so on the fence, because I would really like to order some golds.

But personally I have a problem because I have enough ducks for my backyard, maybe could get away with 1 more
roll.png

I keep trying to talk myself into getting rid of my two beloved raised-from-duckling freeloading drakes, but after several attempts including listing them on Craigs List, I just didn't have the heart to do it.
When breeding season starts again, and they get REALLY OBNOXIOUS like they do . . . . . I may be reconsidering. But that would break the chocolate hen's heart as well as mine! and I'm so disappointed with my khaki Campbell not laying as much as I expected. Sometimes I wonder if I should try to just rehome them all together except Bridgett , my WH . . .
hit.gif

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and look on the MLS for a few acres in the country. Could get some minature goats then too!
See what a BYC addiction can lead to, warn your children!

Wow thanks for the great info on WH ducks. I dont have any of those but my Rouens and Blue Swedes are the best layers of any poultry I've ever had so the WH must be spectacular! Great looking birds too.

I love Welsh Harlequins.....but would they make a good backyard duck? As far as noise is concerned?
Thanks!
big_smile.png

Mine are fairly calm. I guess the noise thing is relative.I live in a neighborhood, not the country, but many of my neighbors have roosters and it seems like everyone here has dogs (plural).

My loudest is the dominant drake he tends to waagh! waagh! a lot.But, he's a drake and not really that loud.The hens only start quacking if they're scared or I'm bringing feed.

My neighbors complain about the fella on the block with 9 dogs and the family with 3 roosters.They tell ME how pretty my ducks are and how good the eggs are. At least to my face:lol:

Okay i couldnt take it... i just added 3 WH to my order. but i should have shopped around a bit because they cost a LOT and only did st. run. hope i get atleast 1 duck. out of 3 i dont need anymore drakes lol. i had orderd 10 and changed it to 3. i got a little scared

Last edited:
streemers
Good for you! I don't think you'll be dissappointed.The drakes are quite beautiful on their own.Don't be scared... come on over to the darkside, Luke.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom