Welsh Harlequin

Ok just so all of you know, the only reason I ask in so many different threads is because I want input from several people. That's all. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ok just so all of you know, the only reason I ask in so many different threads is because I want input from several people. That's all. Sorry for the inconvenience.
I'm not trying to be mean or anything. So please don't take it as that. You have asked many times and have gotten many answers from several people. There is nothing wrong with getting lots of opinions, I just wanted to point out that we aren't ignoring you.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything. So please don't take it as that. You have asked many times and have gotten many answers from several people. There is nothing wrong with getting lots of opinions, I just wanted to point out that we aren't ignoring you.
Ok well you have been a big help

Ok well you have been a big help
I'm sorry I sounded high and mighty. I think you should get the breed you are most drawn to. Spend as much time as possible with them from the get go and they should be friendly and tame. I think welsh harlequins are so pretty and they need help bringing up their numbers so I know I had to have one. I wanted a good layer too so I got a white layer. Runners are just goofy looking so I had to have one too, but they didn't have enough cayugas to fill my order so I got another runner. Later my husband found a Cayuga for me since he knew I originally wanted one and we ended up with a crested drake since the woman couldn't find him a home and added him in for free with the Cayuga. I love all of them, even the unfriendly drake. He is great lawn art and is coming around slowly.

My long winded story is to get what you really like. You can always add more later or sell some off if you are unhappy.

I've seen 1000(!) duckling pics and should be able to spot the diff in a gold or silver duckling. Alas, not to be.
1f612.png
Any guesses?

Ok. So those last 4 pics were just because they were cute.
263a.png
We just got Tater the drake and Tot the drama queen 3 weeks ago, but they are family! They've completely bonded with my daughter and she's mom! Tater has always been laid back and appreciates the joy of a good scratch of the growing in feathers, but Tot? Well, the more fuss she can make, the more she likes it. She's getting the hang of it though. When it's her idea to lay on you, she's going to make herself right at home! She only objects when it's YOUR idea. She's the one watching TV on my daughter's arm, while Tater tries to get some sleep since she's distracted! She never. ever. stops. She did let me hold her today for about 10 minutes. Big victory as far as I'm concerned! Good pets? As far as I'm concerned, absolutely! Not as calm as my neighbor's Pekins, but MUCH more personality. So far they are everything people have said they would be.
1f603.png
1f603.png
1f603.png

Wait! That sounded rude about my neighbors pekins! Their ducklings are a few weeks older than ours. They have 2 pekins, a mallard and a Rouen. Their kids have worked with their ducks so much, the ducks will rest their heads on the kids shoulders when they're picked up. Maybe I'm mistaking naughty for personality!! I would have some pekins in a heartbeat. They're really sweet. Bottom line, every breed has the potential to be great pets, you just have to work harder with some breeds than others. Pekins and WH's are not ones that require hard work to be loveable. All of their ducks being so sweet to my daughter is the whole reason we got any in the first place. (They also have a Muscovy female and a Rouen? cross drake.) ALL of their ducks are keepers.
I was trying to throw my 2 cents in for Jdc361, but I think I just muddied the puddle! Sorry. Lol

Last edited:
Wait! That sounded rude about my neighbors pekins! Their ducklings are a few weeks older than ours. They have 2 pekins, a mallard and a Rouen. Their kids have worked with their ducks so much, the ducks will rest their heads on the kids shoulders when they're picked up. Maybe I'm mistaking naughty for personality!! I would have some pekins in a heartbeat. They're really sweet. Bottom line, every breed has the potential to be great pets, you just have to work harder with some breeds than others. Pekins and WH's are not ones that require hard work to be loveable. All of their ducks being so sweet to my daughter is the whole reason we got any in the first place. (They also have a Muscovy female and a Rouen? cross drake.) ALL of their ducks are keepers.
I was trying to throw my 2 cents in for Jdc361, but I think I just muddied the puddle! Sorry. Lol
No that is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!!! I think I'm gonna get a welsh harlequin, a Rouen, and a khaki Campbell but don't know which one should be the drake yet. Not the because they're too big. But I'm trying to decide between the welsh and khaki.

No that is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!!! I think I'm gonna get a welsh harlequin, a Rouen, and a khaki Campbell but don't know which one should be the drake yet. Not the because they're too big. But I'm trying to decide between the welsh and khaki.

I personally think the Welsh drakes are prettier than the Khaki drakes. But that's just me.
wink.png

I've seen 1000(!) duckling pics and should be able to spot the diff in a gold or silver duckling. Alas, not to be.
1f612.png
Any guesses?

Gosh it is hard to tell isnt it!? I'm NOT a pro by any means but my gold phase female has always looked a little lighter than the other silvers. I was thinking that the lighter beaked one could have been a gold phase, but it almost looks like the other could be one as well!? Is there a difference in their pigment color that you can tell? I wondered for awhile if my drake was a gold phase, but he darkened up finally. Here are a few pictures of my babies 3 weeks old. Maybe it will help you. My gold phase has brown pigmenting instead of the dark gray of the others:

Gold to the left, and silver to the right, all silvers below... I think anyhow! :)

In the photo above (taken a week ago exactly) the gold is on the far right at the top of the picture. :) Tater and tot are cute! Awesome that they are that tame.

Back
Top Bottom