Welsh Harlequin

Gosh it is hard to tell isnt it!? I'm NOT a pro by any means but my gold phase female has always looked a little lighter than the other silvers. I was thinking that the lighter beaked one could have been a gold phase, but it almost looks like the other could be one as well!? Is there a difference in their pigment color that you can tell? I wondered for awhile if my drake was a gold phase, but he darkened up finally. Here are a few pictures of my babies 3 weeks old. Maybe it will help you. My gold phase has brown pigmenting instead of the dark gray of the others: Gold to the left, and silver to the right, all silvers below... I think anyhow! :) In the photo above (taken a week ago exactly) the gold is on the far right at the top of the picture. :) Tater and tot are cute! Awesome that they are that tame.

I don't have the quote and comment procedure figured out yet....
1f615.png
Jessilynn, funny thing is, your pics are the ones that threw me for a loop! Lol. Both of my ducklings are actually darker than your Goldie. I was shooting into the sun and just generally stink as a photographer! I see dark brown in Tater's wing feathers, but Tot has really dark color next to bright white. I figured at least she was a silver. But then, if I was even remotely sure of what I was looking at, I wouldn't have to ask, right?! Lol

I can't imagine what my chances of getting 2 golds from a feed store would be! From all the posts I've read, gold females seem harder to find in the U.S. That would be a lucky pick! I prefer the silver phase colors but truly don't care. I just have no patience what so ever. I can't imagine how crazy the wait would make me if the didn't grow like weeds!
1f601.png

Btw, your duckies are adorable! I'll definately be ordering or buying from a breeder here the next time. I want to get a couple more. What a cute little pile of bills and fluff they are!
1f603.png

I don't have the quote and comment procedure figured out yet....
1f615.png
Jessilynn, funny thing is, your pics are the ones that threw me for a loop! Lol. Both of my ducklings are actually darker than your Goldie. I was shooting into the sun and just generally stink as a photographer! I see dark brown in Tater's wing feathers, but Tot has really dark color next to bright white. I figured at least she was a silver. But then, if I was even remotely sure of what I was looking at, I wouldn't have to ask, right?! Lol

I can't imagine what my chances of getting 2 golds from a feed store would be! From all the posts I've read, gold females seem harder to find in the U.S. That would be a lucky pick! I prefer the silver phase colors but truly don't care. I just have no patience what so ever. I can't imagine how crazy the wait would make me if the didn't grow like weeds!
1f601.png

Oh that IS funny! I have to agree, watching them change a little and wondering what they will look like is the best part- but goodness it sure tests my patience! :) I love that the Welsh Harlequins can look a little different from each other. I ordered mine from Metzer and while they state that they don't have gold's it clearly happens occasionally! :) I also think the silvers are prettier as they get older. But I sure do love my Goldie. It helps that I can always tell who she is... while the other girls constantly have me checking feet color, beak color and now feathers... and I'm still not 100% sure who is who. :/

Oh that IS funny! I have to agree, watching them change a little and wondering what they will look like is the best part- but goodness it sure tests my patience! :) I love that the Welsh Harlequins can look a little different from each other. I ordered mine from Metzer and while they state that they don't have gold's it clearly happens occasionally! :) I also think the silvers are prettier as they get older. But I sure do love my Goldie. It helps that I can always tell who she is... while the other girls constantly have me checking feet color, beak color and now feathers... and I'm still not 100% sure who is who. :/
And in the end, they're all cuties and funny! Lol

Does anyone know of someone on the Mississippi Gulf Coast that has WH ducklings available for pick up? I just want to get one female to add to our flock oft currently 3 duckling: 1 Pekin, 1 Mallard, 1 Buff; and additional ducklings to arrive in June: 2 Khaki Campbell, and 2 Cayuga. I'd be willing to wait until June. Any suggestions?

Hello everyone!! Been following for some time and excited to join you
smile.png

My order of 12 Welsh Harlequins from Holderreads arrived yesterday and I am very excited!! These are our first ducks. My order consists of both silver & gold phase so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on approximately what age you can differentiate the two color phases?

Thanks in advance!!

Back
Top Bottom