Welsh Harlequin

Well, here's the webpage of the breeder who sold me my ducks. She does show a picture of a gold phase duck with a darker head. I guess there's just more variation than I realized. I hope you do have one duck at least! http://www.moosemanorfarms.com/about-welsh-harlequin-ducks.html

Yours may not be bred to color standard - a head color like that and speckling on the breast is normal on a WH female. Here's holderread's gallery, where you can see examples of ducks bred to the standard:

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/welsh_page/welsh_page.htm

Last edited:
Oh no! Well, I hope that isn't the case! Did they arrive with colored leg bands? Metzer marked the hens and drake with different colored tape. I'm not sure it would help you at all, but here is what my silver phase drake looks like at 4 week old: He is the duckling furthest to the left with the greener lighter bill. All the females (except for the Gold phase hen's) bills are pretty dark now. In the picture below she is on the far left. Even her bill is darkening just a little now, but not as dark as the other ladies'. :)
I have a female cayugg and a male pekin. We just had ourfirst babies today we have 3 with 14 more eggs to go this is your first time any help would-be nice

Last night I noticed one of my WH ducklings was sleeping face down in the midst of all the others! I can just picture her sitting there with her head slowly bobbing down until she fell asleep!

Welsh Harlequins are absolutely gorgeous! I would love to get my hands on a good layer but I'm not so sure on all the different breeds specialties. I have two muscovies that are a day under 10 weeks old. We got them from my backyard neighbor who had two muscovy females. They flew off when they got older and libe on the canal nearby but keep coming back and laying eggs in his chicken coop! Aside from laying, the closest they get is chilling in front of our house. Anyway, we were looking to add a duck or two and I really like the WH. We'll see how things go

Welsh Harlequins are absolutely gorgeous! I would love to get my hands on a good layer but I'm not so sure on all the different breeds specialties. I have two muscovies that are a day under 10 weeks old. We got them from my backyard neighbor who had two muscovy females. They flew off when they got older and libe on the canal nearby but keep coming back and laying eggs in his chicken coop! Aside from laying, the closest they get is chilling in front of our house. Anyway, we were looking to add a duck or two and I really like the WH. We'll see how things go

My WH's aren't even a week old and I love them! Would totally recommend! ;)

This past Tuesday, I became mama to six 2-day old female ducklings, including two Welsh Harlequins! When trying to decide what breeds to order, I did a lot of reading here on BYC's Duck Forum and this thread helped me choose WH as one of the breeds.

These two pictures were taken the day they arrived - just three days old!

I just love their little webbed feet!

And this one was taken yesterday when they were four days old.

This past Tuesday, I became mama to six 2-day old female ducklings, including two Welsh Harlequins! When trying to decide what breeds to order, I did a lot of reading here on BYC's Duck Forum and this thread helped me choose WH as one of the breeds.

These two pictures were taken the day they arrived - just three days old!

I just love their little webbed feet!

And this one was taken yesterday when they were four days old.

:love Krazyquilts they are gorgeous! Congratulations on becoming a new duck mama!

Back
Top Bottom