Welsummer: Ginger or Gilligan?

Shezadandy

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 26, 2015
Portland OR
We've got 3 Welsummer chicks, all of which are supposed to be pullets. One of these chicks is not like the other two in terms of color, face mask and coloring. They are still very young, 9 days old today, and I realize likely too young to tell. I plan to update with pictures as they go so I can avoid digging back through old photos which while cute, gets tedious.

I'll call the chick in question Ginger for now and the other two are Mary Anne and Lovey.

jumpy.gif

Day 2: Ginger

Day 3: Mary Anne, Ginger and Lovey

Day 7: Mary Anne (left), Ginger (right)

Excellent information, thanks Gray Farms! This is our 2nd batch of chicks but our first experience with Welsummers. It's good to know they won't keep us guessing long.
It won't take long. Welsummer male chicks get their combs big and fast even as chicks.

Sorry, but it is to young to sex. If you post again in 2 weeks or more we can try and guess its gender.

Thanks Chicken Girl1, I plan to post pics at regular intervals.

Excellent information, thanks Gray Farms! This is our 2nd batch of chicks but our first experience with Welsummers. It's good to know they won't keep us guessing long.

Thanks Chicken Girl1, I plan to post pics at regular intervals.
Gottacha, also Welsummer rooster will start growing a black patch on it's chest where as a hen will not.

WEEK 3

This week has started with a slight reddening of the future wattles turning a darker pinkish color on the chick in question. Also, while the other 2 have light tan breast feathers coming in, Ginger/Gilligan has dark reddish feathers- not sure if this is the black patch described by Chicken Girl1 or not. The tail and wing feather continue to be shorter than the other 2 (which I'm 90% sure are pullets).

Day 20 Ginger/Gilligan, front

Day 20, Mary Anne, front

Day 20, Ginger/Gilligan standing

Day 20, Mary Anne standing

Ginger, darkening future wattles:

Sorry, but Ginger is actually Gilligan... good Welsummer lines are autosexing... and as you could see right away, Gilligan had very light/faded eye stripes as the 2 pullets had deeper/darker eye stripes...

Sorry, but Ginger is actually Gilligan... good Welsummer lines are autosexing... and as you could see right away, Gilligan had very light/faded eye stripes as the 2 pullets had deeper/darker eye stripes...

Thanks RavynFallen,

This is what I was afraid of the second I took them out of the box ... one of these things is not like the others--- having paid for sexed pullets, of course. Guess I get to mark my calendar for the refund window. Disappointing that they screwed up an autosexing breed!

Thanks RavynFallen,

This is what I was afraid of the second I took them out of the box ... one of these things is not like the others--- having paid for sexed pullets, of course.  Guess I get to mark my calendar for the refund window.  Disappointing that they screwed up an autosexing breed!

Disappointing for sure, but in their defense most of the Welsummer lines, especially hatchery ones, have lost the clear autosexing traits... it might have been chance that yours were a bit better than others...

But those chest feathers are undeniable... the 2 pullets chest feather color is called salmon and that is the only color a pullet would get on her chest... the cockerels colors are all red/black...

Hope you get a refund and sorry you are down one Wellie pullet... :/

Last edited:
Mistakes do happen to be sure-- checked the policies and all mis-sexed chicks get refunded (not the 90% policy), so I'll get that $4.50 back anyways
lol.png
. Our first order was 10/10 pullets so I suppose statistically we were doomed on the 2nd order. Maybe Gilligan will turn out to be a good roo- plenty of ladies.

Thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom