welsummer roo x barred rock hens

Just hatching some of these and they are oh so cute!

Hope to cross back to eventually develope pure Welbars.

Started 18 eggs-16 hatched and 2 pipped but resting right now.

This is what ours look like.

The Welsummer rooster and the Barred Plymouth Rock parents.

Rooster
26354_chicken_pics_welbars_blrw_cuckoo_marans_dominiques_051.jpg

Hen
26354_chicken_pics_welbars_blrw_cuckoo_marans_dominiques_057.jpg

Cute lil' fluff-butts!!!
26354_chicken_pics_welbars_blrw_cuckoo_marans_dominiques_003.jpg

I know this was a long time ago, but did you take any pictures of these babies as adults? I just did the same thing..

I know this was a long time ago, but did you take any pictures of these babies as adults? I just did the same thing..
Same here. Just took them out of the brooder. What happened with the browns? I had about half traditional looking black sex link, with and without the dot, and the other half were chipmunk brown.

I've started the same cross for welbars, however I crossed a welsummer roo X BR hen and hatched 2 eggs (was incubating lower temp for roosters and only 2 eggs; one welsummer roo X BR, one Welsummer roo X rhode island red, and both eggs hatched to Roos. I then took the welbar Roo and crossed with another different FULL BR hen. I only incubated 4 eggs. 3 hatched. One didn't survive day one. :(

Of the 2 chicks I have, one is fully barred with white on head, the other is all black with no barring. Black beak, black legs. I'm under the impression this would mean the all black is male with less barring gene, and female is with white dot and barring( 2 barring alleles in hens vs 1 in cockerels)?????

Here's some pics of the fluffers. Like I said, the same parents. One has black feet and beak and no barring, other has yellow on feet and beak and barred.

Attachments

• IMG_20210324_122802.jpg
    IMG_20210324_122802.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210324_122746.jpg
    IMG_20210324_122746.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 14
I've started the same cross for welbars, however I crossed a welsummer roo X BR hen and hatched 2 eggs (was incubating lower temp for roosters and only 2 eggs; one welsummer roo X BR, one Welsummer roo X rhode island red, and both eggs hatched to Roos. I then took the welbar Roo and crossed with another different FULL BR hen. I only incubated 4 eggs. 3 hatched. One didn't survive day one. :(

Of the 2 chicks I have, one is fully barred with white on head, the other is all black with no barring. Black beak, black legs. I'm under the impression this would mean the all black is male with less barring gene, and female is with white dot and barring( 2 barring alleles in hens vs 1 in cockerels)?????
These chicks should be about 1/4 welsummer and 3/4 Barred rock.

You're confused from start to finish with this post.
You're basically just making mixed breeds not Welbars. You can recreate a Welbar but you went the wrong direction to do so and it isn't just throwing a couple breeds together and calling the offspring a breed.
Enough lecturing on that.
I won't get into incubating at lower temps to hatch roosters. You're costing yourself chicks with that plan.
The last part you're confused about. Yes barring is sex linked but it's female's that can only have one gene and males that get two copies.
Your cross isn't a sex link cross though.
Females only either have barring or they don't. The gene comes from their father and is passed to their sons.
So your BR hen passed one barring gene to her son's and none to her daughter's.
Your cross rooster has one barring gene and one nonbarred gene. Its 50/50 on which gene he will pass on.
That means your cross can produce black or barred females. Also single gene barred and double gene barred males.
Any nonbarred chicks are females. Any double gene barred chicks are males. But any single gene barred chicks could be either.

You're confused from start to finish with this post.
You're basically just making mixed breeds not Welbars. You can recreate a Welbar but you went the wrong direction to do so and it isn't just throwing a couple breeds together and calling the offspring a breed.
Enough lecturing on that.
I won't get into incubating at lower temps to hatch roosters. You're costing yourself chicks with that plan.
The last part you're confused about. Yes barring is sex linked but it's female's that can only have one gene and males that get two copies.
Your cross isn't a sex link cross though.
Females only either have barring or they don't. The gene comes from their father and is passed to their sons.
So your BR hen passed one barring gene to her son's and none to her daughter's.
Your cross rooster has one barring gene and one nonbarred gene. Its 50/50 on which gene he will pass on.
That means your cross can produce black or barred females. Also single gene barred and double gene barred males.
Any nonbarred chicks are females. Any double gene barred chicks are males. But any single gene barred chicks could be either.
So the original cross of a welsummer roo and BR hen was one welbar Roo, however that Roos offspring are not welbar? Or none of them are? The reduction in temp was from 38C to 37.7C, should I never do that? I was only incubating 2 eggs from different hens.

I'm connecting dots now..... It COULD HAVE been crossed back to pure welbar. I went the wrong direction and am just mixing breeds. GoT IT!!! I'm going for olive eggers of different colors. Not a breed.

Last edited:
So the original cross of a welsummer roo and BR hen was one welbar Roo, however that Roos offspring are not welbar? Or none of them are? The reduction in temp was from 38C to 37.7C, should I never do that? I was only incubating 2 eggs from different hens.

I'm connecting dots now..... It COULD HAVE been crossed back to pure welbar. I went the wrong direction and am just mixing breeds. GoT IT!!! I'm going for olive eggers of different colors. Not a breed.
No. Crossing a welsummer to a barred rock does not make a Welbar.
A Welbar is an autosexing breed that breeds true. Your cross was neither. You can make the cross and pursue it to get a Welbar but that would take several generations. Breeding back to a BR anywhere in those efforts would put you back to the beginning of the project.
The only gene you want from the barred rock is barring. Breeding back to one brings all the unwanted genes back in.
If you're going for olive eggers why are you breeding brown egg layers together and not introducing tbe blue egg gene?

Got it. A Welbar would be the welsummer X BR Roo that would be crossed with welsummer hens to simultaneously create gold laced and silver laced. Looking into the history and origin~~1940.

I wanted light brown and dark brown eggs first so that I have varieties of browns to cross with americaunas blue eggs. I thought crossing different browns would not show much color change but could be interesting, however I will be mixing in white(not sure which breed yet) and blue egg layers (americaunas) in the future. Thanks for the info. Going down the rabbit hole.

I was reading this thread and was hoping somebody could me try to confirm if have the bird I have is welsummer roo barred rock hen cross. Long story short I had a hen go broody and after 2 months, I got some hatching eggs where the roo is welsummer but the hen is unknown. Here are a couple pics. When he hatched, he looked very much like a barred rock, black with white belly and spot on head.

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_141446187_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210905_141446187_HDR~2.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210905_141130881_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210905_141130881_HDR~2.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom