Welsummer sexing

Thanks for the update!
smile.png

Im gonna hack this thread... :) nobody is answering my other threads so maybe here :) i hatched out one pure welsummer and i have nothing to compare to..3 days old here!

That would be a roo if it were from my flock. The pullets had much more distinct wedge markings on their heads that were thinly edged in black; like eyeliner. The fourth picture down has a hint of that at the V-point; but mine had that darker and more pronounced across their whole head. The roos had similar markings as yours. Same or similar wedge as the pullets, but more diffuse along the edges.

Last edited:
I say roo as well. Mine was sexed as female but he was lacking the black edging on his back that the females had. He looked exactly like yours and also feathered in just as fast as the females.

I've done three batches now and I have to say sometimes it is a little confusing. There are always some that are clearly boys i.e. less definition in the strips, redder head and very small eyeliner, very white bellies....but I've had a one or two each hatch that I just wasn't sure about and keep second guessing myself on. Hopefully it gets easier with time!

Back
Top Bottom