Went to a funeral, brought home a chicken...*Pics added!*

Quote:
Oh dear, well at least she didn't let the poor thing loose like most people do!
But thank you XD
I still think I would be the only person who goes to a funeral and ends up with a hen lol.

She is beautiful! I guess I'm gonna have to get some banties.

I just 'met' my tenants new trio of chickens when I went to do some work there today. They look much like your little beauty only not so gold, I think.

And here I was thinking they might have been pigeons rather than chickens.

Love, Linn in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

Betty is a good name.... I know if I died and someone got a chicken at my funeral and named it after me,. I'd be touched......
lol.png

I agree that Betty is a great name for her... I think that a person who has enough joy in life to request a celebration of their passing would enjoy that she will be thought of every time you see your pretty new hen!

They can be flighty if you don't interact with them much. I have 12 Sebrights, golds, silvers, and buffs, and I initially didn't care much for them because of their flightiness. But I've found that once you put a little time into them they adapt to human contact very quickly and become quite friendly. They do, however, remain high energy, and mine are all very opinionated! If I'm a bit late coming out with their evening treats, they stand at the gate and squawk at me. My DH says their threatening to break out their "chicken fu" on me! When I finally enter the run, at least one or two is guaranteed to get on my shoulder, bend over, and fuss into my face until I hold up a treat. As for the other chickens messing with them, I've actually found that mine are all pretty near the top of the pecking order, and I have a predominantly LF flock. One buff Sebright hen, Song, is also "nest box coordinator" ... if a hen tries to get in a nest box while another hen is using it, Song will run up and peck her, like she's telling the rude hen to mind her manners.

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

Quote:
Oh dear, I have the top of my Bantam run covered due to the cat, but I have noticed that she is really flighty! Is that just the breed?

I think it is all the things I read about them said that their flighty.
hmm.png

My sebe was frendly, she was also an great flyer. She at one time was the head hen. Sebe was hand raised. I had her with me an lot. I love seabrights. It broke my heart when I lost her.
hit.gif

Quote:
I think it is all the things I read about them said that their flighty.
hmm.png

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

My sebe was frendly, she was also an great flyer. She at one time was the head hen. Sebe was hand raised. I had her with me an lot. I love seabrights. It broke my heart when I lost her.
hit.gif

Quote:

I am so sorry
sad.png

Its never easy to loose a hen, but I think loosing one to a predator is the worst.

Back
Top Bottom