Were You Attacked and Injured by YOUR Rooster?

Were You Attacked and Injured by Your Rooster?

• I did nothing, we're okay

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I did nothing, he attacked again

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • I confined him, his attitude improved

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I confined him, didn't help his attitude

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I rehomed him

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I removed him from the gene pool (permanent)

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 12 23.1%

• Total voters
somehow, I still have my broiler boy. going to get rid of him soon, because even tho he's too big to fly at my face, he is still very aggressive, and has been fenced in since he ran at me and bit my butt for no reason.
(my hens and my nice rooster are all free range, and they actually like flying up into the trees with my guinea hen)

I was squatted down in the run giving soldier worms to everybody when my 8-month old Welsummer Marans cross blindsided me and drew blood on my lip and under my ear. He could have KILLED me if he had spurs. I had his feet in one hand and his neck in the other, about to snap it and throw him into the pig pen but I just couldn't do it that way. Then I was going to shoot him but couldn't find the ammo for my pellet rifle. I'm torn because he's perfect for step 1A in my breeding project and I also wanted to keep him for back-crossing the best strong blue layers from 1B. But one of my goals is a family-friendly line and every old wife I've ever talked to suggests that daddy's personality affects his son's.
Similar situation. I had checked behind me because he's been testing me from behind, grabbing my skirt. As soon as I bent over he launched at my face, slammed into my head. I stood up, he was standing in front of me, his demeanor showing he was ready to do it again. I threw water on him, in his face, and he ran.

But I can't, won't trust him to not do another frontal assault.

Any human aggressive cockerels/roosters I cull. There's no taming them, especially when it's the genetics.

Sometimes hormones in the spring can trigger human aggression, but generally it's short lived, & easily corrected. My boy Maran(My Big Baby), will get spring time aggression. He just charges a few times, & stops in his tracks when I raise my voice at him telling him NO. This may only go on 1-3 days, & it stops. So far this year, he's showing no spring aggression, but it's still early.
I rarely cage(Lock them up), cuz it's usually isn't necessary for this, maybe unless he's actually attacking you.
I suppose it could be Spring aggression, but I prefer to keep my eyes.

How pointy, or long are his spurs? They could be trimmed, filled down, or even pulled.
Was it spurs, or nails/claws? I don't know.

My head is also bruised from the impact, sore along the hairline.

Here's my thought: the aggression won't go away if he loses his spurs. A little peck from behind would be easier to work with, but not a head on attack. I don't need the aggravation.
IMG_20240222_171130999~2.jpg

Spurs are about an inch, he's a bantam.

Our neighbor had an aggressive rooster, He used to come over to our house and start attacking me from nowhere one time he pecked me especially hard on the knee, Luckily our Rooster always puts a stop to it, The neighbor since has gotten rid of him.

Was it spurs, or nails/claws? I don't know.

My head is also bruised from the impact, sore along the hairline.

Here's my thought: the aggression won't go away if he loses his spurs. A little peck from behind would be easier to work with, but not a head on attack. I don't need the aggravation.
View attachment 3757775
Spurs are about an inch, he's a bantam.
Removal, or trimming of the spurs would reduce the chance of injury if he does it again.
Nothing to do with fixing behavior.

Back
Top Bottom