Western Massachusetts

Any one out there?
woot.gif

frow.gif

Hi. I would say things are going pretty well up here..(I had to find Southwick on the map : ) How are things down there?
Do you have any chickens? Or are you about to embark in that venture as well?
As you read I am looking for 3 for the spring. We are starting to plan the coop now.

Hi there!

I live in Southampton and I've had chickens for umm going on 4 years now. I am up to 16 hens and 1 roo, I've decided not to add anymore for now. The first year I purchased 3 (2 partride rocks and an australorp) from Hatfield Feed and Seed and then got 2 (blue eggers) from a breeder one ended up turning into a really mean roo. The following year I decided I was going to hatch some, so I bought black copper marans, blue copper marans, olive easter eggers and english orpingtons. I also threw in some of my own. I ended up hatching 11 roos out of 22 eggs, I also lost a few 8(. This past year I decided I couldn't handle sending my boys to auction so I ordered 10 all girls from Meyers Hatchery. I lost one right away poor baby. I have found that most chickens warm up the more you spend time with them. I did get some "pet" chickens the Buff Brahma Standard I have found to be sociable as well as my welsummers. I'll put a list of what I currently have down below. Feel free to ask me about any of them.

Peas & Carrots - Partridge Rocks
Boo - Blue Easter Egger
Snoopy - Black Astralorp
Cleopatra & Nefertiti - Black Easter Eggers (my eggs)
Dot - Splash English Orpington
Rollie - Black English Orpington (Bowling ball Roo)
Bread & Butter - Buff Brahmas
Laverne & Shirly - Black Copper Marans
Hazel & Wanda - Welsummers
Buffy - Buff Ameracuana (she was suppose to be blue)
Coconut - Easter Egger (she is a mixture of browns)
Joanie Jett - Black Easter Egger

Last edited:
Hi!
how are all of them doing?
I actually do wonder..do the other color orpingtons compare to the buff orpingtons in regards to "friendliness". I had been noticing that eeevery where the buff are regarded as soo friendly but never are the others mentioned.
How about your EEs and australorp?
I know that although going by breed works well, they are still all individuals = own personalities.
Do you think you will hatch any in the spring?
Thanks
smile.png

I don't have the buff orpingtons, but my roo is the best one i've ever had. I can pick him up or the girls around him. He had gotten into it with another roo I had (splash) from the same hatch and Rollie let me clean up his face and everything without a single crank. Snoopy my australorp is very social as well as my EEs. Boo the blue one is the only skittish one. I really believe that any of them would be great, it comes down to how much time you can get to spend with them.

Unfortunately I will not be hatching any. You are welcome to some eggs if you wanted to give it a try yourself :)

That is great, how nice to have found a rooster like that! We are not looking for a rooster ourselves right now, maybe down the line though.
Well, I am looking forward to spending some quality time with whoever we do get in the end. Thanks, but no thanks for the eggs!
jumpy.gif
Part of me would love to start with our first chickens as chicks and see every little thing : ) but we are not equipped and after really thinking about it we are going look for someone who can raise them to pullets for us. I am sure sooner or later we will end up having a hen hatch chicks yay.

Hello all! I am in Southampton too and have had chickens for 2 years now. I have red sex links, welsummers, and cochins, and will be adding a few more in the spring. I have three icelandics reserved, and am trying to decide on another breed to add as well. How is everyone doing with the extra cold temperatures? I've seen some frostbite, especially on my poor roosters' combs.

Hey everybody. I'm in Florence. I'm looking for started hens. Around 20 weeks and a little older. I had 10 2 turned out to be roosters so I'm trying to replace the ones I have away. Any local help would be great thanks!

Does anyone know where I can get some young ducklings asap? I have a day-old Mallard single hatchling that needs some company desperately. Willing to consider other breeds and will drive to pick up most anywhere in New England. Please let me know if you know of any options.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom