Wha the heck is happening?!

So one chick has pipped, on the smaller end of course, nothing from the others yet, today at 3pm is day 28 (AKA hatch day). The membrane directly around the beak was brown as soon as I found it, the edges were white, I think its dried out already. I put a hot wet square of a washcloth chunk in there, misted the walls with warm water and dabbed some water with a Q tip around the edges, making sure not to get it in the beak area. Here is a picture from first noticing the pip 12 hours ago to this morning after I moistened it a little bit, I accidentally brushed a piece of shell off making the pip larger. Im trying to leave it alone but its so hard, my first batch of chicks was perfect, 6 out of 6, second was 2 out of 4 (one was very sticky and even dried crunchy), Im doing all the same things so I dont know whats going on.

Its been 24 hours since first pip, I panicked and decided to help. Wrapped chick in warm wet paper towel and picked off some shell around the pip, dabbed water on edges and folded back what I could then placed it back in the incu and misted walls with hot water. I dont know what Im doing!!!

Its been 24 hours since first pip, I panicked and decided to help. Wrapped chick in warm wet paper towel and picked off some shell around the pip, dabbed water on edges and folded back what I could then placed it back in the incu and misted walls with hot water. I dont know what Im doing!!!

For not knowing what you are doing you are doing a pretty good job.
wink.png
The veins look pretty well "absorbed". No blood? He breathing well? Chirping?

I checked on him about an hour after the last photo and he seemed to be panting and chirping but sounded really upset so I decided to keep helping. Picked off more shell bits and pulled back more membrane. Never saw any blood, chick pushed out while i was rewetting the last bits of membrane holding him in. He was floppy and weak with clubbed feet, although now hes gotten everything straightened out and is moving about the incubator. No other movement from the others :( also hes adorable and I already love him. Cant tell if his belly button is weird or not. Bad pic, will update later to see if it drys up.

I checked on him about an hour after the last photo and he seemed to be panting and chirping but sounded really upset so I decided to keep helping. Picked off more shell bits and pulled back more membrane. Never saw any blood, chick pushed out while i was rewetting the last bits of membrane holding him in. He was floppy and weak with clubbed feet, although now hes gotten everything straightened out and is moving about the incubator. No other movement from the others
sad.png
also hes adorable and I already love him. Cant tell if his belly button is weird or not. Bad pic, will update later to see if it drys up.

If he had foot/leg problems that could be why he had trouble to begin with. If it is a matter of curled toes, that can be corrected. Once you get him out and can get a good look, you'll be able to determine better what's going on.

Alright, well this morning, day 29, little Jive is stomping around the incubator, perfect little feet, perfect belly button, hes so adorable it hurts!!! The other three eggs didnt hatch, Im not sure whats happening but all of my turkey eggs (2 separate batches totaling 10 eggs) have died just a few days before lockdown. My first batch of chicks was 7 out of 7 alive and easy hatches, second was 2 out of 4. Im progressively getting worse. :(

However here is little Jive.

Well, I opened the last 3 eggs, all had saddle aircells on lockdown, but I think they actually died right before lockdown and that made the aircell weird. One had a liquid yolk, the second was a normal yolk, the third was most developed and its yolk was even half absorbed. No shrink wrap, no smell, I dont know whats killing them in the last few days before lock down. Like I said this is the second batch of very very late death chicks. Ive had another post trying to figure out whats happening and Im not getting any info from anyone so I think Im done incubating. Its one thing to have a early quitter but this close to hatch is awful.

Alright, well this morning, day 29, little Jive is stomping around the incubator, perfect little feet, perfect belly button, hes so adorable it hurts!!! The other three eggs didnt hatch, Im not sure whats happening but all of my turkey eggs (2 separate batches totaling 10 eggs) have died just a few days before lockdown. My first batch of chicks was 7 out of 7 alive and easy hatches, second was 2 out of 4. Im progressively getting worse. :( However here is little Jive.
Is that a peachick??? I just hatched 3 peafowl in the mini and they look exactly like that!!! Seriously! And my first one to pip was where yours pipped and I had to do the exact same thing!!!

Back
Top Bottom