Wha the heck is happening?!

Mine were eastern wild turkeys, however, they do look exactly like that peachick! Thats crazy. The assist went well, Im not sure why, however I still feel bad about the ones that didnt make it, if they had at least pipped I think I could have help but nothing from them, Im really sure they were dead on lockdown day :(

Mine were eastern wild turkeys, however, they do look exactly like that peachick! Thats crazy. The assist went well, Im not sure why, however I still feel bad about the ones that didnt make it, if they had at least pipped I think I could have help but nothing from them, Im really sure they were dead on lockdown day :(

I had to google turkey chicks and (especially the wild) look exactly like peachicks! Wow, I didn't know that! I've been talking to an experienced turkey hatcher on another thread because hatching turkeys is similar to peafowl (now I can see why!) and she told me that turkeys are much harder to hatch then chickens. A 50% hatch rate is like a 100% for chicken chicks. So don't feel bad. At least you got one baby. My first egg of this batch pipped in the same place. I made the hole a little bigger and waited 24 hrs. No progress. So I got tons of advice and then did what you did. He hatched in my hand. His feet and legs were curled, he could not walk for almost 24 hrs and almost died early this morning. But I made him drink lots of electrolytes and he's doing great now. I've also heard that for the first few weeks a lot of turkey/pea chicks don't make it. So just make sure he's eating & drinking! It sounds like he's in great hands though!!

Little cutie is still alive today, even with a power outage last night, turkey has 3 chicks as his babysitters, one is a week old, the other two are 2 weeks old. They all snuggled together and made it through the night no problem. Ive seen him eat and drink with the other chicks so Im feeling good about it. I did read that 30-45% hatch rate is normal for turkeys and that yes they can die at random in the next two weeks, so Im nervous about that still. My fertile turkey egg lady has moved off the island so I probably wont have another chance to hatch more :( After seeing the health/development difference between shipped chicks and incubated at home I really wouldnt prefer to order again. I think the rough handling and no food for a few days, although they can survive it, doesnt get them a good start, its a week before shipped chicks grow any feathers but my at home ones had wing feathers in less than 2 day.

Glad he's doing good! That's great that he has friends in the brooder with him. He needs that. I prefer to hatch myself too. But that's just because I love incubating so much! I've never bought a chick, just eggs! Lol. Maybe you can order some eggs online. Shipping is hard on the eggs but I've had at least 50%+ hatch rate on my shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom