What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
What about a standard rooster and bantam hen? I mean she can live through the act right?
Typically yes. The only physical issue would be if she got squished by the heavy rooster as he stood on top of her. He doesn't have a male organ that would need to go inside her, so no worries about that aspect of size (drakes and ganders do, roosters do not.)

Typically yes. The only physical issue would be if she got squished by the heavy rooster as he stood on top of her. He doesn't have a male organ that would need to go inside her, so no worries about that aspect of size (drakes and ganders do, roosters do not.)
Uh.. wait what? He doesn’t have… oh man I’m confused again

Yes, I would expect that to work.

Also if you think your hens are too fat, they will probably lose some of that while broody.

It is possible for a hen to stay broody for too long and die of starvation, but most hens seem to stop before that happens.
The two that are currently broody are in the same box, but are very different. One (Piglet) gets up every day and eats, drinks, poops (like elephant turds). The other (Tassels) never moves unless I haul her out.
I don't think they start fat and I will get weights on both of them to make sure they don't lose an excessive amount of condition.

@RoyalChick how many chickens do you have?
Seven hens and no rooster.
It is a young flock - the lead hen, Bernadette, is the oldest at about 30 months; her main squeeze (she is non-binary it seems) is Babs who is about 18 months old and the other five all came together just over a year ago.

Uh.. wait what? He doesn’t have… oh man I’m confused again
Lots of surprising things about chickens!

Another one: the hen determines which chicks are male or female. The rooster does not. (Roosters have sex chromosomes ZZ, hens have ZW. That is apparently normal for birds, but of course it is backwards of what we are used to with mammals.)

Seven hens and no rooster.
It is a young flock - the lead hen, Bernadette, is the oldest at about 30 months; her main squeeze (she is non-binary it seems) is Babs who is about 18 months old and the other five all came together just over a year ago.
Yes I seen Bernadette the beauty! Non-binary lol. Unless that’s offensive then nvm the lol.

Lots of surprising things about chickens!

Another one: the hen determines which chicks are male or female. The rooster does not. (Roosters have sex chromosomes ZZ, hens have ZW. That is apparently normal for birds, but of course it is backwards of what we are used to with mammals.)
Mammals I got, I understand mammals. Chickens are so new to me, they’re really interesting, and funny! And I don’t care what anybody says, they each have a personality!

Back
Top Bottom