What’s your favorite way to clean wood in your coop?

CrystalAnon

Songster
Oct 28, 2022
Central Florida
I did a couple of searches & didn’t see anything very specific to this question. So forgive me if this has been hashed & rehashed.
What’s your favorite way to clean wood in your coop?
I’m a newbie & I’m trying to figure out the best way to clean the messier poops that dried on the wood.
I bought a stiff bristled brush. I also have vinegar.
Wondering how others here clean their dried messes… when it’s not as solid as you like to see.
My chicks seem to be learning how much of what they can eat at a time, now that they’re out in the run with plenty of greens & bugs.
I also try and limit the live black soldier fly larvae now (I have an OVERFLOWING compost bin of them! 😳)… I noticed things were messier when I gave them too much. I’m learning too. 😋
Any tips & tricks would be SO much appreciated!

Another vote for "I don't".

I made sure that my roosts are far enough from the walls that they don't take more than an occasional hit at widely-separated intervals.

Dry poop isn't hazardous.

Now and then I use a broom, a stick, or something to knock down any buildup from random horizontal surfaces, but the only thing that collects on the walls are cobwebs -- which get knocked down with a broom a couple times a year. :)

I do. I use a paint scraper and a soft brush after to brush out the dust.
Easiest is to clean out the poop in the coop on a daily basis. Poop boards in large coops can work well and make daily cleaning easier.
I have found not having any type of bedding in the coop apart from that in the nest boxes makes cleaning a lot easier.
Of course, the type of coop and it's size has an impact on how practicable any form of poop cleaning is.

While it is true that dried poop doesn't seem to be much of an issue the dust from it when it decays is a health hazard for both you and the chickens.

Wondering how others here clean their dried messes
I just scrape off any poops off roosts.
How clean do you want it...and in what areas?

Get a pressure washer. You'll find lots of uses for it.
Not a good idea to wet coop that much, especially in a humid climate where it won't completely dry quickly. Just asking for mold, and bacterial, growth.

I do. I use a paint scraper and a soft brush after to brush out the dust.
Easiest is to clean out the poop in the coop on a daily basis. Poop boards in large coops can work well and make daily cleaning easier.
I have found not having any type of bedding in the coop apart from that in the nest boxes makes cleaning a lot easier.
Of course, the type of coop and it's size has an impact on how practicable any form of poop cleaning is.

While it is true that dried poop doesn't seem to be much of an issue the dust from it when it decays is a health hazard for both you and the chickens.
Sounds good. I have a small-ish coop, so I can’t really fit poop boards in there & still get around in there easily. But where they like to roost is pretty convenient. Can put old feed bags under them after they’ve all found their spots at night.
Thank you! 🙏🏻

Sounds good. I have a small-ish coop, so I can’t really fit poop boards in there & still get around in there easily. But where they like to roost is pretty convenient. Can put old feed bags under them after they’ve all found their spots at night.
Thank you! 🙏🏻
Yes you can. You can put old feed bages in there anyway. No need to wait until they go to roost. I've used old feed bags, cardboard sheet, newspaper. It doesn't really matter what it is. It's the daily cleaning that's important. Not the stuff on the floor.

Yes you can. You can put old feed bages in there anyway. No need to wait until they go to roost. I've used old feed bags, cardboard sheet, newspaper. It doesn't really matter what it is. It's the daily cleaning that's important. Not the stuff on the floor.
i have a 'poop' routine in the morning when i go to coop/run to let them out to free range. I modified a kitty litter poop scooper by fixing a longer handle on it and scooping the poop from under roost. Every Morning. It takes 2 minutes. I have 5 hens and use hemp bedding which is very small pieces so it sifts well through the litter box scooper. This works for us! In the run, i keep the same scooper and will periodically scoop when i see it. Having only 5 hens makes this an easy task. As well as working from home. Good luck! 🐔

Back
Top Bottom