What am I? Dark Red with Black Barring

koe760

Hatching
Jun 25, 2016
Hello, I'm trying to figure out what breed this pullet is. She is approximately 4 months old, and the person I got her from says she came from McMurray Hatchery.

I originally thought maybe she was an EE since she looked like another EE I got from the same person, but as she grows she's looking much different than the other EE.

Here's some pics:

My guess would be a Partridge Rock. I have two young pullets from Murray McMurray that look similar to this.
smile.png

Ok, thanks everyone! New to chickens so still learning all the correct terminology etc., so thanks for that correction!

welcome-byc.gif

It's a very, very common mistake. The juvenile feathering has what looks live black bars of color on the brown, but it grows out to pretty penciling.

Barring is actually white bars of color on a (usually black) dark background.

Agree she's a partridge Rock. She's going to be quite the eye candy when mature
smile.png

Is there an article- preferably one with pictures that explains how chickens looks/markings are described? All I can say about mine is-they have feathers, beaks, and kinda sorta brown and red, and black... had no idea so many little things about how to describe them lol! Its all very interesting.

Is there an article- preferably one with pictures that explains how chickens looks/markings are described? All I can say about mine is-they have feathers, beaks, and kinda sorta brown and red, and black... had no idea so many little things about how to describe them lol! Its all very interesting.
http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm
This covers all the most basic points of chicken genetics.
And keep in mind, your bird still has juvenile plumage, which often times can be very different from adult color/patterning.

Looks my Partridge rock, one eyed willow!(she's blind in one eye due to a incident involving a dog) I think mine is around the same age as well.
-Liv

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom