What are some cheap coop ideas?

I have been kicking around the idea of modifying an old bbq we have to use as a coop. I think you would have to insulate it. Has a hinged door already...

I Just Got Some Rectangle Wire (50 Ft.) And Plastice Netting 'wire' (50 Ft.) And I Attached The Wired Ends To The Privacy Fence Post On One End And Half Circle Around With Stakes For Support. I Wrap The Plastic Netting Over And Under The Wire Fence And Cover The Whole Thing (chick Hutch And All) With Bird Netting For Trees. I Move It To A Different Location Several Feet Away Every Weekend.(or Every Other One) Takes About 3-4 Hrs And I Start Early. The Chickens (3 Bantams) Don't Even Stay In The Chick House At Night. I Go And Get Them And Bring Them In On My Back Porch. (i Have Raccoons And Someone Else's 'roam Free' Cats) The Chickens Will Go In And Eat And Drink In The Little Hutch During The Day. It's A Lot Of Work, But It Gives Me Something To Do And I Feel Better For It. I Like Having The Hutch For Shade During The Day And I Get To Pick The Chickens Up At Night. I Love Just Holding Them. I Hope To Get Some Shade Netting Soon. Charleston, Sc Summers Can Be Bad! Some Of The Built Houses I Have Seen On This Site Are So Beautiful! I'm No Carpenter, But I Can Rig A Fence Anytime. Good Luck!
smile.png

Well so much for moving the 'fence-chicken-tractor". I worked all night Friday on it (long wkend) and moved it over a nest of wasps! I already had it finished when they went in on Sat. am and when I went out later, was stung on the yazoo for all my trouble! Even the chickens are wary, but can't attempt to move it now till the weekend. I was really sick from it for several days now. I dusted (DE) on everything still and flying and bug-sprayed it too. I hope they got the hint to move on. I'm moving it closer to the house next time. Be careful, these things can kill you...not the chickens... the wasps!

Last edited:
Some cheap coop ideas would begin with FREE pallets. Any kind of free pallets or recycled wood that someone is giving away, will go a long way. I just posted on another thread with pics of the few things that have been built using free pallets, recycled wood, tin from construction sites that build metal buildings, nails, wire or anything else that anyone is giving away for FREE. I have found so much FREE stuff on Craigslist and the local freecycle ground that I belong to in my area.

Here is a link with pics of cheap coops made from free and recycled materials. See my post #4.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=515079

Try driving around the rural areas of your town and eyeballing old, broken-down, abandoned-looking structures (everything from dog houses to sheds) that obviously aren't in use.

Sometimes just a friendly conversation with the farmer/owner about how you'd LOVE to recycle that structure into a chicken coop and would he/she consider letting you remove it to do that, along with signing a hold-harmless release in case you have an accident while doing it, will get an okay -- and there you go.
smile.png

In Phoenix I would be scared to death I'd be making fried chicken if I used a topper, satellite dish, or the like
smile.png
But what a great thread! Thanks!

(PS-super newbie- not even sure how to include a previous post I am commenting on- please be patient with me, hehe)

Back
Top Bottom