what are some of the things you can feed baby chicks?

gallinamama

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Macomb, Michigan
I am new to this. My grandson's preschool hatched baby chicks, now I am the proud owner of 9 beautiful baby chicks 4 weeks old. They are rapidly growing. I want to raise my chickens without antibiotics and the such... but would like some information on other everyday food that the chicks might enjoy. I gave them some leftover rice the other day and they just loved it! It was like watching a soccer game... the way they chased each other grabbing the food..Please post some helpful information... Our coop is in the planning stages now.. they are still under the red heat light but it is up higher.. do I still need that too? Some nights are cool here in Michigan.

Welcome to BYC!!!

There is an awesome list of what to and what not to feed chickens in the BYC Learning Center. I printed it off and keep it in my "chicken book" along with other useful information found here....theres alot of it!!!

Good luck!!

Those 4-week old peeps can eat an amazing amount and variety of foods! I give mine table scraps- diced nice & small. WATCH THE SALT & SUGAR! They gobble spaghetti,{ scrambled eggs, ham & cottage cheese.}~ this was a breakfast mistake, my family refused it,"too ugly" those chickens ate it so quick, I was wishing I had more! Raw oatmeal; I pour some melted peanut butter on it.apples,chopped just so you feel kind. toss a whole apple in with a flock of older chickens, step back & watch the fun!
frow.gif

along with grit, I give mine rice, steel cut oats, flaxseed, wheat germ, apples, frozed dark cherries, sweet potato fries, yogurt....
THEY love treats and come running to my hand
54234_5-13-10_2.jpg

Thank you so much! I was afraid of hurting them... I used to give my grandpuppy Shortrib bones from the spaghetti sauce I made.. He had to go to the vet's... I felt soooo bad.. I don't do that anymore!! I am new at raising chickens... I live on 5 acres so it will not be a problem for the neighbors. I have always wanted to do this... It kind of fell into my lap... fate I guess!! My husband is not thrilled but I will be the one taking care of them... haha..

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom